Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have acquired a 1969 396 SS Chevelle, the orange engine is gone. What do you look for-for signs of ss in 69? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
"69 SS cars had trim around the park lights, abridged front fender trim, standard disc brakes, standard 12-bolt rear ends (some 350's also had 12-bolts), fenders punched for "SS 396" emblems, SS badging on door panels/dashes/steering wheels, HD springs, dual exhaust hangers, 3/8 fuel lines (some 350's had these too) and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Check out Dale MacIntosh's all-encompassing website, which really spells out "SS identification" (and oh so much more) and also includes excellent photos. His website matrix can be accessed from the "L78 Registry" or from numerous other points. Dale offers outstanding analyses of engine, transmission and rear axle identification and marking. He really knows his stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I believe I have acquired a 1969 396 SS Chevelle, the orange engine is gone. What do you look for-for signs of ss in 69? Thanks
Why do people so often ask this question AFTER they purchase a car?

Reactions: NickeyChevelle

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Oh, and good luck with your car, Madman. The "69 SS" is a especially tough animal to identify, given it did not have "138" VIN codes as its predecessors did. Build Sheets, Protect-O-Plates, original dealer paperwork (sales invoices, etc) and warranty receipts can also help. Some say the cowl tags of Baltimore and Kansas City-built SS cars have specific code letters stamped into them. My Baltimore-built L78 SS contains the letters "B" and "L", for instance. Again, Dale's website really spells this out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Besides the two SS only specific paint codes there is no way to positively identify a true 69 SS unless you find the build sheet, original invoice or Protect-O-Plate.

Besides what Saltherring already mentioned the SS version had boxed rear lower control arms as far as I know. Mine does anyways.

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
Welcome to the site. :thumbsup: So where's the pictures ?

·
Gold Founding Member
64,094 Posts
Why do people so often ask this question AFTER they purchase a car?
I'm guessing it's probably because they would like to know. :)

Since the original engine is gone, if there is no build sheet or other documentation, there is probably no well to tell because anything could have been added or replaced many times over the years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies, looks like it's a Kansas city car and has just an "L" has 12 bolt 411 posi and disc brakes, there is no chrome around wheel openingstud but there are holes where it was once placed. No sign of plugged holes from other malibu or trim moulding.car has the assume factory badges all in place. I did notice the steering wheel didn't say ss and previous owner told me that it is not the original steering wheel. They removed the factory 4 speed and put in automatic but will dig up clutch pedal assembly for me. I'll try to put up pics

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I'm asking after getting the car because I would have bought it regardless but I'd just like to know

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to keep asking questions but also just checked it has 3/8 hard fuel line to tank as well as a smaller return line

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
791 is parchment bucket seat interior, there is no 50 55 code, do you mean 55 50? first two number are lower body color and next two the top. I'd like to add yours to my list if you don't mind. If you have a pic of the trim tag please email it to me at [email protected] and I can try and help with some of your info. The 3/8 line with the return is common to 325/350 HP 396 engines. you could have a 300 deluxe if the vin starts with 3437 and it would not have the malibu trim holes in the quarter. check the rear end and see what the code and date is on the front of the passenger side axle tube, if original might help with determining what it was. Also if it is a kansas city car it will have KAN on the tag vs BAL for baltimore. take care and welcome, Andy

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I believe the L34 (350 HP) cars also had 2 fuel lines between the tank and the fuel pump, as the Q-Jet carb needed this set up. L78 (375 HP) cars had only a single line with a rather unique vent system forward of the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts