Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Can anybody recommend a replacement radio for a 1969 Chevelle. I heard there are "updated" reproductions that can receive satellite and play cd's, but retain the original look. Any ideas? thank you.

·
Premium Member
13,127 Posts
If you do a search either this forum or maybe restoration you can probably find several threads for radio rebuilds. I did same a few years ago and I think there are services that will basicly gut your original and update. There is one radio rebuilder that many recommended that I believe was totally against gutting and modernizing an original Delco but he would rebuild to factory specs. If memory serves me correctly he was somewhere in Tennesse area.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Check with Ground UP. They offer a radio that looks just like a 69 but has an updated digital tuner. I don't know anyone who has purchased one so I don't know the quality.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As an alternative, you can keep you nice original AM radio installed and then get a seperate FM converter. They are on E Bay for $100-$200. It won't give you stereo but you will get good, clean FM reception in mono. I wouldn't invest too much in converting a radio right now anyway because HD radio is coming and eventually the signals will be digital, just like TV next month.

Phil

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I was thinking about leaving my stock AM installed and hide an after market unit somehwere, glove box or under seat I dunno and just use the aftermarket stereo remote most of the time. Decisions decisions....

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts