Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for (sort of) resurrecting an often hashed discussion, but my question wasn't addressed in the threads I searched, so here goes.

I am probably one of the few out there doing a full, as correct as possible, restoration on a Malibu, not SS, not COPO, not Yenko. I am the original owner but cannot recall what this silver on the lower body looked like when new.

I do know that the paint on the lower body side, below the moldings, and on the tail between the taillights / trunk moldings is Argent Silver. What I am trying to find out is, what "sheen", or lack of, am I looking for? Gloss, semi-gloss, satin, xx% flattening ??? etc.

I have Argent Silver paint samples from the shop's supplier, and the color is a pretty good match to what was on the car, but those body panels were either seriously faded, or had repair work done over their lifetime and thus repainted.

Appreciate any and all experiences. Thanks.

Viz

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Team member, Von restored a '69 Malibu with the correct lower silver/argent paint scheme. I'm sure he'll chime in shortly to answer your question. :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
I don't know for sure but I assumed it was full gloss like the upper colors. If full gloss just like the original upper paint, it would fade in a short time and lose it's gloss due to the type of paint used at the time. I used modern base coat/clear coat on mine. Is there a small area in your door jambs that's still original and well preserved? A pic of mine is in the link below my signature.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know for sure but I assumed it was full gloss like the upper colors. If full gloss just like the original upper paint, it would fade in a short time and lose it's gloss due to the type of paint used at the time. I used modern base coat/clear coat on mine. Is there a small area in your door jambs that's still original and well preserved? A pic of mine is in the link below my signature.
Thanks Von. Sadly no, there's nothing left of the untouched original color. The only part that wasn't redone over the years was the tail panel, and that was sandblasted last year as the body work commenced.

As best as I can recall, even when the car was new, the silver didn't seem to be really glossy. Now, my car was black, and it wasn't the most brilliant black I'd ever seen. The silver seemed to just blend in nicely. I have NOS grille ends, and they don't seem overly glossy but I really don't know if the paint on those was the same as the body.

Viz

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,375 Posts
I do know that the paint on the lower body side, below the moldings, and on the tail between the taillights / trunk moldings is Argent Silver.
:cool: FWIW. I found this on ChevelleStuff.net: "The lower body panel on Malibus for Argent Silver is DuPont mixing formula 927-95905 or 41253, Ditzler (PPG) color number is DE-8568."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts