Team Chevelle banner

1969 Malibu Gauge Lights on With Key Off

209 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  71350SS
I am finally getting around to the wiring on my '69 Malibu LS3/T-56 project, and save for the Holley Terminator X being triggered off of what was formerly the coil wire, there are no other modifications to the stock wiring. At least, none that I have done. Granted, the last 50ish years have not been kind to this car, as there appears to be lots of hacks throughout the wiring system.

My problem: As soon as I connect the battery, I get a generator, and brake light illuminating on the dash. This is with the key off. With the key on, they remain, however everything else then works as it should (blower motor, terminator, radio, etc). Surely these lights should extinguish with the key off, as I imagine this will quickly sap a battery. Where do I start here? I am thinking potentially a bad ignition switch, but I wanted to canvas the minds of those more experienced than I before I dig into it. Thanks in advance!

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu SS 396 clone
馃槑 Please correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to me (based on your attached photo) that your ignition key is in the "run" position and not in the "off" position. IF I'm correct then the system is working properly.

What happens with the ignition in the "off" or "locked" position?

Registered
Ha, yes, you would be corrected in that in that photo, the key is in the 'on' position. However, even with the key off, the lights were on. Fortunately, I figured out my issue. Bad grounds, and, of course, mice. :cautious: View attachment 760388
There is someting in the wire covering that those little varmints love we have a scion at the shop now that they ate the coil pigtails on two cylinders that we could see who knows what else they ate but we shal find out . Its amazing what they can chew through. I dont like rats and mouses but i think those little teen tiny field mices are cute. Alex

Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu SS 396 clone
馃槑 I have 6 mouse traps in my garage and so far this winter I've eliminated 13 of the furry occupiers. I'm not certain that the dryer sheets work, but I have them littering my car. 馃惌

Premium Member
Find an outdoor cat that likes to come by your garage (or adopt one) and let him in there.After it kills a bunch of them the others will move out to somewhere safer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts