Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!
Need some help on this.
Just finished up the L78 short block for my 69 and the square port heads I had lined up turned out to be junk! (cracks)
Until I can find another set of stock square port heads I thought I would bolt on a pair of alloy aftermarket heads. Must be 119 cc or bigger to keep the compression numbers in check.
Any feedback on what works and what is not junk would be greatly appreciated!
Raised ports may mess with header placement and as this is a street /strip fun car with a Comp Cams 286H cam I need to make a good choice.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Only aftermarket heads without raised exhaust ports that I know of are some of edelbrocks heads, some of chevrolet performance and Brodix race rites.

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
Brodix Race Rites, are a good choice, eddy heads can be good as well, The GM heads are just re badged eddy heads.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I'd think RaceRites would get you the best bang for your buck. You might forget about iron heads once you try 'em.

And I think that the E-355's are a lot too big for a 454, they belong on a 565.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Is it worth the cost of purchasing aftermarket heads, then taking the loss if you sell them once you find the correct heads for your engine. Are you looking for date codes heads? Is what you are looking for that hard to find?

Steve R

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.
BlackoutSteve- great article on the rect-ovals from that super chevy article that you linked.
402 cubes would work well with an rect-oval design I would bet!
Maybe others can weigh in on this ?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Not sure about that. AFRs 300 rectovals out flow them, and those AFRs are right at home on my 454. :)
It's been said before when it comes to Cylinder Heads....."MAXIMUM FLOW THROUGH THE SMALLEST PORT SIZE POSSIBLE."

Given how well AFR 265s work on 454/468 and 496s, I can't imagine those 355 ports being anything but lazy on a street 396/402.

Simply my opinion......

Reactions: badrad

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's been said before when it comes to Cylinder Heads....."MAXIMUM FLOW THROUGH THE SMALLEST PORT SIZE POSSIBLE."

Given how well AFR 265s work on 454/468 and 496s, I can't imagine those 355 ports being anything but lazy on a street 396/402.

Simply my opinion......
You could be quite right. I wouldn't be suggesting any rectangle port at all for that engine anyway. I only did because it was asked for.
AFR 265 or 290 rectovals any day. :)

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
the afr 265 290 or the oval 300's are all good heads. The brodix RR-0 270's are good heads too for a 396/402 you want the best small port you can get. Yes I have a set of brodix and I can say some very pretty heads lol also I went with them because of price at the time also I had planed on going with a roots style super charger so I wanted good flow and port size. I ended up keeping the engine N/A so with that in mind I picked up another set of heads with a smaller chamber to keep the current n/a compression ratio on my 402. Hence why I am selling my Brodix heads. if you have any question about any of these heads, personally I would contact Mike Lewis AKA Wolfplace here on this site. below is his contact information.

Lewis Racing Engines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts