Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an original instrument cluster on their L48 that can answer these 2 questions?

1) The redline silkscreen does in fact start at 5,000 rpm
2) Where does the orange "warning' silkscreen begin (at 4,800??)

Thanks

Grandracer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Dale, thanks, that's perfect !!!!!

Interesting that the text before the picture says "....(#6469397 5000 rpm but not shown)...." yet there is in fact a picture of it. Maybe it was added later on after the original article was written.

I was pretty sure that was the warning and redline, but wanted to be extra sure since the cluster came back after restoration with the wrong redline ! (5300 instead of 5000). They said they'd redo it though.

Grandracer

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
Yes Dale, thanks, that's perfect !!!!!

Interesting that the text before the picture says "....(#6469397 5000 rpm but not shown)...." yet there is in fact a picture of it. Maybe it was added later on after the original article was written.
You are correct, the verbiage was written long before I found a suitable example. I'll remove that text - good catch, thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as an aside observation, the L48 350ci/300 hp motor, which got the 5,000 rpm redline in the Chevelle, is also the base motor in the 1969 Corvette. Yet, GM decided to make the redline in the Corvette 5,300, not 5,000. Same motor, different redline.

Any idea as to why ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts