Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1969 chevelle ss 396 car and what I am trying to find out is what transmission belongs in the car. Does any of the VIN numbers tell me anything. Thanks Hooter

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
The VIN won't tell you anything except it's a 69 Chevelle, where it was made, and a sequential plant assembly number.

If you get the numbers off the pad in front of the passenger side head, it'll sometines indicate what that particular engine is from and what transmission was behind it originally.

For example a JA or KG code indicates a manual transmission, a JE code indicates a High Performance (350hp) with TH400, etc. That's assuming the engine is correct for the car.

I have some decoding info at my site and Team Chevelle has some more codes here

Edit The build sheet or Protect-o-Plate will give more information about the particular car - even let you know if it's a real SS or not.
------------------
Dale
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
first , welcome to TC, best place anywhere for anything Velle related. Second, you should post this in the Tag Team forum where all Vin decodes and numbers information should be posted. As I understand it the only way for you to tell what trans came in that car would be the buildsheet, Window stickers or tracking down the original dealer and perhaps they could help you out. Cant determine trans from the VIN # Is it an auto or a stick?

Alas, Dale is too quick for me. AND, taught me something new...didnt know about the heads. Thanks Dale.
------------------
'70 SS 396
4spd, 4.10's and a smile
TC# 1341
Beaux

If someone tells you your ass is on fire, at first, you should take their word for it.

[This message has been edited by Midnight Marauder (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Welcome to the site Hooter ! Sorry to report that there is no way to tell what trans belongs in your car by the vin number, however if the original engine is still present we can determine the correct trans from the suffix on the block. If the driveline is gone you'll just have to look for clues in the car itself and try to determine that way. The more complete the car is, the easier it will be to try to tell. I'm sure some of the guys here will chime in with the obvious clues to look for. Good luck. You'll find lots of help here.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If i remember right the last 2 letters on your engine block will tell you. for 69 396 i think jk= th400/325hp je= th400/350hp etc... The engine# will be located on the front of the engine below the rt hand cylinder head. grab that # and im sure someone can tell ya. BTW-Congratulations on getting your car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.