Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the original 69 Chevelle chrome exhaust tips had a rolled edge or a cut-off edge at the end? The replacement tips have the cut off edge. Some people say that the originals had the rolled edge. I have some original pictures but it is difficult to tell. They may have come either way depending on the supplier for each assembly plant. Has anyone seen the ones with the rolled edge?

R

·
0 Posts
Some '69's had then and some did not.

Early production cars (up to March or April) had the rolled tips. Later in the production run, the "cut-off" style was used.

Rick

------------------
'69 SS 396 L78
'81 GMC Caballero 4 speed
Team Chevelle Gold Member #152
ACES #560
NCOA #2615
Bel Air, MD

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The early 69's had the rolled tips. They discontinued them because they held moisture and rusted out the bottoms. My dad had 2 sets that rusted out on his 69 before he figured it out. He always liked the rolled tips better.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Does anyone know which assembly plants used the rolled edge ones and which had the cut off edge or did all the cars use the rolled edge tips in the beginning of production?

R

·
0 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, all Chevelle plants used the rolled tips until GM changed the design and their stock was depleted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.