Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the rear diff cover with a new nice chrome piece from mr. gasket
that went well.However when trying to undo the 9/16 refill bolt on the diff case
i found that because it is a square bolt my only option was to use a 9/16 open end wrench to try to crack the bolt loose.Well because on my diff case where the bolt is located there is none to very little room to get any leverage on the stuck bolt to loosen it.Also there is a flange or bracket welded to the area that makes space to work a real pain.What is a guy to do to get at this bolt to make it loose, is there a tool for this, what about trying to heat it up will that be a good thing or a big mistake.Please any help on this let me know, i need to get the gear oil back in before rust starts. Many thanks for any replies on this.

Alann

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,779 Posts
I don't know what else would fit besides the open end. Can you get a "cheater" pipe on the open end? I had one on a Caprice 10 bolt once that was froze and the square "nut" rounded off. I was afraid to try heat so I pulled the axles and diff unit (be sure to keep the shims in order side to side). Then stuffed rags up against the plug from inside. Drilled it out from the outside using successively bigger bits (it's fairly soft) until not much more than the threads remained. Then was able to pry the remains out and put a new plug in. Wiped the inside of the housing with mineral spririts til I was sure all chips were out. Reinstalled everything with new axle seals and gear lube. A big PITA. Maybe heat would work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the tip, i did not know i could get a square socket but you can bet i will be going out to find one, great tip thanks.

Alann

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
It's amazing sometimes how many of us have the same problems.

This is one of those things I have been messing with for a year.

Last winter I pulled the plug and topped off the oil level. Tried to do it again last summer. The plug wouldn't budge.

The first time I used the square end of a 3/8" drive, no problem. The second time all it does is slip out. I used everything in my tool arsenal. I even found a 1/2" square headed lag bolt that I ground down to fit prefectly in the plug. Guess what it's still in there. And I damn near twisted the lag bolt in half.

So it's on to the "heat" (which I'm not too crazy about, given it's location). I have even tossed around the idea of dropping the rearend out of it.

One thing is for sure, I'm going to find a nice, new home for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I've always used in the past is a ratchet extension with a wrench on the other side. It's always worked for me. Jerry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well sir with the wealth of info here i am happy to tell you that i did get that bad boy bolt out of its seemingly for ever home.I did use heat on it, i used a heat gun and heated the area for about 7 minutes moving in a small circle untill warm to the touch.Then as advised i purchased a square 9/16 socket on a 3/8 drive went back under the chevy while the bolt was still warm and hauled on it.The stubborn little s.o.b. came loose and the rest is history, i then put in a brand new drain bolt and just snugged it up to the happy spot as to not going through this in the future.Cant really say the heat helped or if the new socket or the combo of both made the job work but its out and that is good thing.Many thanks to all for the replys and help i wish you all the best.

Alann

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I'd think a new gasket would be cheaper than driving around hunting down a special socket. But you may need the socket in the distant future???

Why don't you just unbolt the cover and get the plug out on the bench?
Since you have no gear oil in the diff, the only loss may be the gasket, right!

I should also mention that the original 12 bolt covers are getting somewhat hard to find. Keep your original. You might contact your local powdercoater and see about a color they have that is very similar to chrome for your original cover.
When that el cheapo Taiwan chrome starts to rust here in a year or so, you may want to put your original back on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i did get the bolt out, please see above post.And yes sir i have the kept the original diff cover and i will have it powder coated good advice thanks for the reply.

Alann

1 - 11 of 11 Posts