Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevelle SS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello yall, So my q jet on my 396 has finally worn out. I know q-jets are sworn by a lot, but I am interested to see what other reccomendations you all have to offer. I am installing a new edelbrock performer rpm intake, and want some help on my carb. For my application, I am using it for street only, and want good reliability with some peppyness. Also, have seen some discussion as to what cfm is more suitable, 650cfm vs 750cfm. The q jet was a 750 and I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Some reading for you on a New Type of Q-jet
Check out these 2 Carbs as a TC member Big Al "SleeperBBC" has bought one and has been very satisfied with it
https://www.jegs.com/i/Demon-Carbure.../1901/10002/-1 625 cfm $ 312.95
this one should work for your 355 SBC and is the one that Big Al bought
https://www.jegs.com/i/Demon-Carbure.../1904/10002/-1 750 cfm $ 346.95
I am going to buy this one for my 468 BBC in the near future

here is my Thread on it see Posts # 1 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 23 / 24 Need New Carb
here is another Thread see Posts # 5 Carb selection
here is another Thread see Posts # 5 / 8 / 10 /12 / 14 / etc. Street demon input

Re: Replacement Carburetor Replacement Carburetor
I will be buying one of these to replace my Holley 750 DP
Street Demon Carburetors Q jet type JEGs # 333-1904 $ 403.us
http://www.jegs.com/p/Demon-Carburet...75515/10002/-1
750 cfm 1-11/16" Primary Throttle Bores / Universal / Vacuum Secondary / Electric Choke / PolymerFinish
The DP Holleys give very poor mileage even cruzin on the hwy at 70 miles an hour and I have had it rebuilt many times,
plus the Demon Qjet has Dual mounting bolt pattern(square/spread bore) fits any street 4-barrel intake manifold is reason I listed it as my # 1 choice along with the fact
the car could/should run on the smaller front primaries when cruzin on hwy ! for great Gas Mileage
Look at the 2 videos on JEGs site plus this You Tube one
RE: adjustment required before bolting onto Intake
and Here are some TC Threads on them Need New Carb
Carb selection

# 16 Re: Need New Carb MY Post on TC Need New Carb
I really like my polymer Street Demon. It's been very easy to adjust and I plan to tune it more in the spring. I have run double pumpers and they do seem to get very poor mileage. Big Al SleeperBBC

Reactions: oldguy67

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
I picked up an ancient, but like new 800 Double Pumper Holley for my L78 396. I rebuilt it, installed it and played with jetting a bit, and it works great! I have less than $250 into it. Of course, I'm only concerned with performance and not economy. Drop the hammer at part throttle in first gear and the power is instantaneous.

Reactions: cheveslakr

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Hello yall, So my q jet on my 396 has finally worn out. I know q-jets are sworn by a lot, but I am interested to see what other reccomendations you all have to offer. I am installing a new edelbrock performer rpm intake, and want some help on my carb. For my application, I am using it for street only, and want good reliability with some peppyness. Also, have seen some discussion as to what cfm is more suitable, 650cfm vs 750cfm. The q jet was a 750 and I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks, Jon
Are you running a stock cam ? I would go with the Street demon Kirk recommended.
Very reliable and easy to tune from what I've heard. Get the 625 unless you have a lot of mods.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I juts put a 750 Street Demon Polymer body on a friends 67 Chevelle with a 350 small block. Stockish cam, FloTek 200 heads, performer rpm, TH700R4. Great carb, set the fast idle speed, mixture and idle. Performs great. The one issue is that you may have to add an air cleaner spacer to clear the choke housing depending what you have now. We ended up putting the black Demon air cleaner on as well.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
I'm going to use a holley 3 barrel, just for nostalgia reasons.
I had one of those in the early 1970's on a mostly stock L34 Chevelle, a 950 CFM variant. I didn't run it long, far too much carb, so I switched back to the 3310 780 I was running before.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevelle SS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some reading for you on a New Type of Q-jet
Check out these 2 Carbs as a TC member Big Al "SleeperBBC" has bought one and has been very satisfied with it
https://www.jegs.com/i/Demon-Carbure.../1901/10002/-1 625 cfm $ 312.95
this one should work for your 355 SBC and is the one that Big Al bought
https://www.jegs.com/i/Demon-Carbure.../1904/10002/-1 750 cfm $ 346.95
I am going to buy this one for my 468 BBC in the near future

here is my Thread on it see Posts # 1 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 23 / 24 Need New Carb
here is another Thread see Posts # 5 Carb selection
here is another Thread see Posts # 5 / 8 / 10 /12 / 14 / etc. Street demon input

Re: Replacement Carburetor Replacement Carburetor
I will be buying one of these to replace my Holley 750 DP
Street Demon Carburetors Q jet type JEGs # 333-1904 $ 403.us
http://www.jegs.com/p/Demon-Carburet...75515/10002/-1
750 cfm 1-11/16" Primary Throttle Bores / Universal / Vacuum Secondary / Electric Choke / PolymerFinish
The DP Holleys give very poor mileage even cruzin on the hwy at 70 miles an hour and I have had it rebuilt many times,
plus the Demon Qjet has Dual mounting bolt pattern(square/spread bore) fits any street 4-barrel intake manifold is reason I listed it as my # 1 choice along with the fact
the car could/should run on the smaller front primaries when cruzin on hwy ! for great Gas Mileage
Look at the 2 videos on JEGs site plus this You Tube one
RE: adjustment required before bolting onto Intake
and Here are some TC Threads on them Need New Carb
Carb selection

# 16 Re: Need New Carb MY Post on TC Need New Carb
I really like my polymer Street Demon. It's been very easy to adjust and I plan to tune it more in the spring. I have run double pumpers and they do seem to get very poor mileage. Big Al SleeperBBC
Interesting enough I actually have one of those 625 demons laying around from a project awhile back. I could stick that on there and give it a rip

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevelle SS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up an ancient, but like new 800 Double Pumper Holley for my L78 396. I rebuilt it, installed it and played with jetting a bit, and it works great! I have less than $250 into it. Of course, I'm only concerned with performance and not economy. Drop the hammer at part throttle in first gear and the power is instantaneous.
I have been interested in the double pumpers because I have heard they really put down the power. I do not care about economy, I just want a nice street car for some fun.

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevelle SS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I juts put a 750 Street Demon Polymer body on a friends 67 Chevelle with a 350 small block. Stockish cam, FloTek 200 heads, performer rpm, TH700R4. Great carb, set the fast idle speed, mixture and idle. Performs great. The one issue is that you may have to add an air cleaner spacer to clear the choke housing depending what you have now. We ended up putting the black Demon air cleaner on as well.
Thats 2 votes on the demon. Interesting. Was 750 not too much for that small block?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
what exactly is worn out on your Q?

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
579 Posts
I picked up an ancient, but like new 800 Double Pumper Holley for my L78 396. I rebuilt it, installed it and played with jetting a bit, and it works great! I have less than $250 into it. Of course, I'm only concerned with performance and not economy. Drop the hammer at part throttle in first gear and the power
My brother gave me an 800 DP of the spread bore variety years ago and I always thought I should rebuild it and put it on the 396.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,336 Posts
I sent Tom Mobley my Holley 3310-1 and it came back like a new carb (y) :) if yours just needs a repair that's what I'd do

·
Registered
69 SS L35 396 automatic column shift 373 12 bolt posi trac Fathom green with green interior
12 Posts
My car came with a quick fuel technologies slayer series 750cfm, I wasn't familiar with them but I'm liking it so far. Easy to work on with float bowl level sight glasses, reusable gaskets on the bowls and secondary kick in adjustment with an external screw instead of having to change springs, I haven't played with the jets yet but I read that is easily done. Last time I worked on a carb was 1996 so I like easy 😄

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

Thanks, Jon
Years ago if I had a stock Q-jet intake, nothing worked better than the old Holley 6210 650 Spreadbore carb. If you can locate one used buy it and rebuild it, happy driving. Not sure if Holley makes them new anymore.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Thats 2 votes on the demon. Interesting. Was 750 not too much for that small block?
Nope not at all. Huge improvement in performance over the Carter 625 it had. Remember a vacuum secondary, the secondaries will only open to as much airflow as the engine needs.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Interesting enough I actually have one of those 625 demons laying around from a project awhile back. I could stick that on there and give it a rip
A 1/4" spacer gasket under the air cleaner will make the base clear the choke housing on the Speed Demon.
Or send your QJ to Tom.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I've always been partial to the simplicity of the Holley 3310.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts