Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas!

I’m starting a build thread for my 1969 El Camino 396 SS. It’s Butternut yellow with saddle brown interior. AC, disc brakes, 12 bolt posi. It’s going to need some good interior work, rewiring, and cleaning up in the engine bay. This is my third El Camino. First was a 68, then a 66, and now a 69. I also have a 69 Chevelle that I’ve had since high school.

Cowl Tag
VIN: 136809Z309325
ST 69 13680 BF 01782
TR 770 B80 B90 40 40
10C 032828 430847
40 - butternut yellow
770 - saddle brown
Engine T1108JB - 69 Camaro MT

Here’s some pictures of the other Elcos:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
That ‘69 looks like a very nice project. Good luck with it.
I would have loved to have that ‘68. It sings to me.

Reactions: 69Chvll

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That ‘69 looks like a very nice project. Good luck with it.

I would have loved to have that ‘68. It sings to me.

I LOVED the 68. It was by far the most original classic I’ve owned. Bare bones too, with a 230 inline 6 and a 3 speed on the tree. It even had vinyl flooring.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
All are great looking rides, James! Especially like the Butternut Yellow. I've always been kind of partial to the less popular colors. Really makes them stand out against all the red/blue/orange cars out there. My Camaro is Frost Green for 3 reasons. I like the color, that is what it was originally, and you just don't see them that often anymore.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All are great looking rides, James! Especially like the Butternut Yellow. I've always been kind of partial to the less popular colors. Really makes them stand out against all the red/blue/orange cars out there. My Camaro is Frost Green for 3 reasons. I like the color, that is what it was originally, and you just don't see them that often anymore.

I’m a fan of frost green as well! I agree, they stand out of the crowd, and they look good too. This one has been reseated, but I’m glad they did it the original color.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I lost all gears in the trans. Fluid looks good, no metal shavings. I pulled the pan and checked the filter. It was loose, so I’m going to tighten it up and see if the pressure will pick back up.

After I figure out the trans, I’m going to either take apart the interior, or the engine bay. I’m planning on cleaning up both with repainting and minor rewiring.

I discovered the th400 tags says C69E, which I’ve seen is a 350HP 396 TH400. This makes me think it was an original 350HP truck, assuming it wasn’t cloned.

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Does it have the kick down actuator on the gas pedal? Another good sign it’s original.

Reactions: 69Chvll

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
That Turbo400 should have the VIN stamped on it somewhere if it's an original trans for your ElCo.Have you looked for paperwork in the seats,under the carpet,on the inside of the fenders and on top of the gas tank ? If you have owned itthat long maybe you'll find something somewhere.
Doesn't matter either way that butternut yellow ElKie is a sweet truck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That Turbo400 should have the VIN stamped on it somewhere if it's an original trans for your ElCo.Have you looked for paperwork in the seats,under the carpet,on the inside of the fenders and on top of the gas tank ? If you have owned itthat long maybe you'll find something somewhere.

Doesn't matter either way that butternut yellow ElKie is a sweet truck :thumbsup:

I’m going to pressure wash the motor and transmission, lots of gunk! I will look for the VIN after. I did feel under the gas tank and found a faded price of paper. All the print was gone though.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here’s the transmission tag? Is it a match to the truck?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,628 Posts
Was the saddle brown interior an El Camino only color in '69?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s time for the interior refresh! I’m repainting the dash, cleaning the bushes, and installing a new dash pad and vents.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts