Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 SS Chevelle and was wondering if someone could explain or tell me what is wrong. When I open the driver's side door a buzzing sound goes off until the door is closed. This happens without a key in the ignition. Is it a warning of some sort or is something not quite right. Don't know where to start to look. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
:cool: Eh, first track down the buzzing sound, eh? If it's coming from under the hood look at the horn relay and/or the voltage regulator. If it's coming from the passenger compartment, it could be your "Keys-in-Ignition" sensor -- it might be "busted." Or maybe a "head lamps on" warning buzzer has gone "south," take a look by the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Tom,
'68 was the first year for the key warning buzzer. Keys left in the ignition (in the off or accessory position) would result in the horn relay buzzing as a warning to the driver when the driver's side door was open on a stock-wired car.

Most people simply defeat the system. Your horn relay is located in the driver's side right next to the radiator, near the top. If you disconnect the black/pink wire plugging into the bottom the buzzing should stop. The solid black wire plugging into the bottom triggers the horns--leave that alone.

Try that.

If you want to restore the correct functionality, post back and we can step you through the wiring checks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts