Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My goal is to have the scoop on the SS hood. I don't want a fiberglass hood and I don't see any matches to the BM hood. I also don't want to glass a scoop onto a steel hood for fear of it cracking at the joint seam after paint at some point. With that being said; would anyone know someone that makes a metal 1967 stingray scoop? Or is a fab shop my best bet?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes minus the tach

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not produced by anyone

· Registered
1,394 Posts
IMO, a custom one off steel hood would be crazy money. If you could bring yourself to accepting a fiberglass hood, there maybe an option. I've personally dealt with Glasstek. They're great folks and will do custom work. I have a custom hood on my Impala and the work was phenomenal. I've installed several of their hoods for myself and friends and never had an issue with fit and it was minimal prep work for paint. The only draw back was the weight, I've only used their bolt on hoods and they were surprisingly heavy. Not a big detractor for me, I was more for the look than trying to save weight. Anyhow, they have several hoods listed for 68-69 Chevelles that are identified as "Stinger Hoods". Unfortunately, they don't have any pictures, but I suspect it's possibly the hood you're looking for. If you can do the fiberglass thing, I'd shoot them a call and see what this hood is about.

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
I think the Black 68 that Mr4spd posted is a One Off ?, I haven't seen any pics of a Stinger hood scoop on an SS hood, the Stinger hoods & L88 hoods for 68/69's were based on flat hoods IIRC

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,800 Posts
In the drop down bar under scoops they sell a 2 1/4" tall $260 & 4 1/2" tall $290 Stinger Style scoops, a good Fab shop could do a very good job, only time I had scoops crack paint were when the hoods weren't latched down good and lifted also bending the back corners of the hoods, 66 Fairlane GT with dual scoops & 73 Duster with a tall snorkel, thinking more about it the Ford only got the corners bent scoop didn't crack paint

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No fiberglass. Steel scoop welded to the SS humps as stated.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its hard to tell from any picture out there, but was the scoop cut open or was it closed?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After countless hours of phone calls and many discussions with sheet metal shops across the Midwest; fiberglass it is.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Grey Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Floor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts