Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all 1968 Chevelle's come with anchor points under the headliner for shoulder belts? I currently do not have shoulder belts but have found a complete set. How do you prepare the headliner with out damaging it? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
It is kind of surprising to see a '68 without the shoulder belts installed from the factory. Starting with the '68 models the shoulder belts with their wire retainer were made standard by decree. Not wishing to have you cut up a good headliner without a reason, I would suggest you try to find a Fisher body manual from '68 to show you the specifics (No, I don't have the '68 version so I can't scan it).

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 68 malibu didn't come with the shoulder belts either. However, it [and, I'm pretty sure all..] did come with the anchor points already lurking under the headliner. If you feel around back there under the headliner....just above the rear side windows....I think you'll find 'em. You should be able to feel the bolt hole in the center [centre] of the anchor.

I don't know the best way to "prepare" the headliner for your attempt at mounting the hardware ['cause I had a shop put in a new headliner for me when I put in my new shoulder belts], but I'm sure you could call and speak with a local shop who does such things all the time....

Good luck.

Mike O'H

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. When I got it no seatbelts were installed. When I removed the rear seat I found the 3 for the rear and the passenger side including retractor. No drivers side or shoulders. Oddly what I have is deluxe belts with a Hamil 67 date tag as I recall. They are blue. Also on the side of the console there is only one clip on each side to store the belt buckle. I have had no success finding a build sheet. I found the protecto plate a original manual but in poor shape.
I just mail ordered a complete set with shoulders and clips but not 68 date code. The car is a driver even though the motor is numbers matching. I ran it down the track a few times. With reasonable success 13.12 1/4 is best to date.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I believe the federal GOVT implemented the seat belt law JAN 1ST 1968 and if your car was a early 1967 sept /oct/ nov/dec CAR it didn't have too have the shoulder because it was sold before the federal law went into effect. I base that on finding early production cars ( chevelle - lmpala etc... ) THAT DON'T HAVE SHOULDER BELTS and the belt date is usely something like 40 or 50 -c 67 . so a early car before my not have the belts BUT I do believe the mounts are probanly under the headliner HOPE this helps mark

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rock68SS:
Also on the side of the console there is only one clip on each side to store the belt buckle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the clip is to stow the shoulder strap belt. Mine has shoulder straps and only has one clip per side, as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts