Team Chevelle banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I got these parts from a Buick a very long time ago. the grill is rectangle shaped but has a pronounced curved end or corner.
Is this correct for a 1968 Chevelle?
Also I know the switch for these is on the the edge of the dash where the square holes is to the left of the steering wheel. This issue is what does the switch look like and the knob?
Some one posted in another thread ( can't find it ) it is a Chrome knob like an old oven knob but smaller and guessing the switch is a rotating type with a resistor to get the two speeds?
If anyone can post a pic of the correct grill (If mine is not Chevelle correct for 68) and a pic of that pesky hard to find switch and knob that would be great!

Premium Member
I read this twice Captain and I have no idea what you are saying. Post some pics and try speaking USA you Canadian馃槣
Edit. I think the square hole you are talking about is on the bottom dash bezel left of the wheel. That is where my power top switch mounts. As far as the rest I have no idea.

Premium Member
Casey I could see this switch working in the area that my power top switch works. It could mount along the lower bezel and unlike my top switch which is mostly out of site this would allow you to see it for the two speeds although certainly not easy but we do know 68's and their one off's. This is listed for an 68 Olds F85 and another one that is unknown but looks like it would fit better in that low bezel position. I will keep looking. Gotta love our 68's!

Registered
Casey I could see this switch working in the area that my power top switch works. It could mount along the lower bezel and unlike my top switch which is mostly out of site this would allow you to see it for the two speeds although certainly not easy but we do know 68's and their one off's. This is listed for an 68 Olds F85 and another one that is unknown but looks like it would fit better in that low bezel position. I will keep looking. Gotta love our 68's!

Here is a picture of the 68 rear fogger switch. It is a two speed with the off in the middle position.
IMG_4059.jpg

Premium Member
I think the ones I showed look better but yours is original Yes? I would prefer the others so at least you know which way to toggle it. Funny the 69 Chevelle allows for both the power top and rear defogger. Just imaging how rare that is. Like I stated earlier 68's were definitely one year cars. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
ETkevin...That's IT! yes that is the knob and the location! finally another 68 guy LOL thanks. I'll posy some pics of the blower grill when I climb up in the garage loft and find it.

Premium Member
ETkevin...That's IT! yes that is the knob and the location! finally another 68 guy LOL thanks. I'll posy some pics of the blower grill when I climb up in the garage loft and find it.
Casey I feel that I have been replaced by a younger new 68 guy:oops:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Never replaced Bill just added to the Harim!
here are the two different grills I was speaking of...wondered which was Chevelle and for 1968?
Notice the one on the left has a curve to the one side and the louvers point more towards the window? where as the one on the left the louvers point to each side.
The fan assembly and the curved grill were from a 68 Buick that's why I ask.
If it was from an Impala Caprice Nova Etc. not an issue I know it would probably be for a Chevelle also...Probably...Not always ala power seat bracket...Chevelle only.

Premium Member
Never replaced Bill just added to the Harim!
here are the two different grills I was speaking of...wondered which was Chevelle and for 1968?
Notice the one on the left has a curve to the one side and the louvers point more towards the window? where as the one on the left the louvers point to each side.
The fan assembly and the curved grill were from a 68 Buick that's why I ask.
If it was from an Impala Caprice Nova Etc. not an issue I know it would probably be for a Chevelle also...Probably...Not always ala power seat bracket...Chevelle only.

View attachment 708861
Capt, I am so happy to still be part of your Harim. My life long goal in life is to be in as many Harim's as possible and please my masters. However, I prefer to be part of the Harim's that are installing AC and not rear window defrosters of the north. All joking aside I would think the grill would match the rear deck factory cutouts but hopefully my new replacement can come through again with another picture. I gotta be honest, back to the switch I would install the caddy switch that would mount the lower area on the bezel would be my choice to use if I had to buy both. I hate my power top switch, first it is difficult to see and there is no label and can't tell which way to push it to go up or down being small black switch against a black bezel. I know push down for down and pull up for up but remember I am from Boston, enuff said :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Bill I am so glad you understand... The AC part Noooo Like having a Convertible up here...can't use it too often just the summer months really.
Oh no another wide shot...sorry Bill.
Just wanted to say both grills fit the bolt pattern and the mounts in the car. If someone can tell me the real vent to use for 1968 great otherwise going with the one that is easiest to work on and restore.

Premium Member
Bill I am so glad you understand... The AC part Noooo Like having a Convertible up here...can't use it too often just the summer months really.
Oh no another wide shot...sorry Bill.
Just wanted to say both grills fit the bolt pattern and the mounts in the car. If someone can tell me the real vent to use for 1968 great otherwise going with the one that is easiest to work on and restore.
Hopefully you will get that critical pic that we all desire but you have to ask yourself if two and many more very knowledgeable members on this forum can't answer this question just imaging how many car show observers are gonna tell you you have the wrong one. Here is a hint, it is the same number in Fahrenheit temp at 32F degrees in Celsius:D

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yep exactly Bill.
I did find one similar on e bay and it is the curved one. they want an awful lot for what I have on the bench in the pic and no switch LOL
Of course its the one that needs more work...sigh LOL
I found a ford part that looks similar to the switch but need to see the actual switch...

I found another pic of the actual switch

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Well I found one but it is costly waiting to hear back from the seller...

Registered
The grill on the left I鈥檓 pretty sure is for 65/66. I have one like the one on the right and the defroster motor is stamped 68 (can鈥檛 remember what month). I don鈥檛 have a switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts