Team Chevelle banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,481 Posts
Are the U bolts holding the DS to the rear end at the yoke correct? my 68 12 bolt IIRC the numbers showed that it came from a 68 SS but mine has straps with bolts, maybe mines wrong?? Yep bench seat, 4 spd and your gal next to you, Ahh memories!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are the U bolts holding the DS to the rear end at the yoke correct? my 68 12 bolt IIRC the numbers showed that it came from a 68 SS but mine has straps with bolts, maybe mines wrong?? Yep bench seat, 4 spd and your gal next to you, Ahh memories!
Anyone in Baco Raton, Fl to certify car that I have mentioned on this post.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The car appears very clean in photos. Curious about the shifter with a bench seat, seems in one photo the shifter is short and straight, in another photo the shifter has a slight bend. Frankly I wonder if either would work with a bench seat as 2nd and 4th may conflict with seat edge? Especially if you are less than 6 ft. tall?

"Dealers" .....always beware.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,481 Posts
Didn't they use different shifters for bench and bucket seats? didn't I also read that at some point someone put buckets in the car? maybe they put a bucket seat shifter in and when it got converted back to bench it was never changed? I'm on the west coast, a bit too far of a drive, the floor pans sure look awfully clean, wonder if they've been changed?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I HAVE OWNED A ALL ORIGINAL 68 L78 WITH LESS THEN 20,000 ORIGINAL MILES FOR 30 YRS AND RESTORED MANY 68 TO 70S (ALSO OWN 70 LS5 VERT). I DON'T USUALLY CHIME IN BUT DID ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE THAT THIS 68 ON EBAY HAS A BUILD DATE OF 05C (MAY 3RD WEEK) ON COWL TAG .ALSO PIC OF PAD STAMP ON ENGINE T0520 (MAY 20 BUILD DATE). LOOKING AT COWL TAGS FOR OVER 40 YEARS I INSTANTLY KNOW THAT IF THE FIRST OF THE MONTH IS ON SUNDAY THAT THE 21ST IS END OF 3RD WEEK. SO I PULLED OUT MY 68 CALENDER. 3RD WEEK OF MAY 68 ENDS ON 18TH,SO IT IS ABSOLUTLY IMPOSSIBLE
THAT THIS IS THE ORIGINAL ENGINE. THIS BLOCK HAS BEEN RESTAMPED AS IT HAS A BUILD DATE AFTER 3RD WEEK OF MAY AND HAS VIN# OF THIS CAR ! NOT POSSIBLE IN THIS WORLD! SO THIS IS A FAKE! WHAT REALLY GETS ME IS THIS CAR HAS A CERT FROM DALE AND HE KNOWS BETTER! SO IS THE CERT A FAKE OR DID DALE CERT A FAKE! CHECK OUT PICS!! AND STOP THE LIES! DEJAVU CLASSICS TOM

·
Registered
702 Posts
I HAVE OWNED A ALL ORIGINAL 68 L78 WITH LESS THEN 20,000 ORIGINAL MILES FOR 30 YRS AND RESTORED MANY 68 TO 70S (ALSO OWN 70 LS5 VERT). I DON'T USUALLY CHIME IN BUT DID ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE THAT THIS 68 ON EBAY HAS A BUILD DATE OF 05C (MAY 3RD WEEK) ON COWL TAG .ALSO PIC OF PAD STAMP ON ENGINE T0520 (MAY 20 BUILD DATE). LOOKING AT COWL TAGS FOR OVER 40 YEARS I INSTANTLY KNOW THAT IF THE FIRST OF THE MONTH IS ON SUNDAY THAT THE 21ST IS END OF 3RD WEEK. SO I PULLED OUT MY 68 CALENDER. 3RD WEEK OF MAY 68 ENDS ON 18TH,SO IT IS ABSOLUTLY IMPOSSIBLE
THAT THIS IS THE ORIGINAL ENGINE. THIS BLOCK HAS BEEN RESTAMPED AS IT HAS A BUILD DATE AFTER 3RD WEEK OF MAY AND HAS VIN# OF THIS CAR ! NOT POSSIBLE IN THIS WORLD! SO THIS IS A FAKE! WHAT REALLY GETS ME IS THIS CAR HAS A CERT FROM DALE AND HE KNOWS BETTER! SO IS THE CERT A FAKE OR DID DALE CERT A FAKE! CHECK OUT PICS!! AND STOP THE LIES! DEJAVU CLASSICS TOM

View attachment 705386

View attachment 705387

I dont know why you replied to my pic comment because i never verified this car as real and as a matter of fact i commented earlier that i didnt like the stamps but i edited the comment out to avoid any confrontations with so called clueless experts

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
I was told $48,000 which is to cheap for a 1968 L-78 I agree with your comments, I have sent an e-mail to seller asking why the L78 register indicates a M22 trans. with a 4.56 rear end, but the ad indicates a M-21 with a 4.10, this made me very skeptical, I think I will continue to look and mark this one up as gaining knowledge to what to look for, thank you and Team Chevelle great bunch of people.

May be early but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year- team Chevelle
Here is the available tranny in 68 HP engines

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
I don't have any opinion about the deck stamp, as I only study 65-67 stamps. You could be correct that it is a restamp. But it doesn't HAVE to be a restamp just because of the 5/20 engine date and the 05C trim tag date. That is an oversimplification of a very complicated analysis.

First, 05C represents the broadcast date for the car order, not the actual "build" date (or start date or finish date) of the car. That means the first step in the plant (generating the broadcast sheets from the order entered into their system) happened during the 05C week; and that could have happened on the last day of the 05C week. Then they would commence to build the car after that, and the car obviously would be finished some number of days after that. And if it is a factory Buick interior car, there also could have been additional delays between the broadcast date and the commencement of building the car, related to the interior supply issues that some 68 experts say they were having at that time (which they say is the entire reason some BOP interiors were used in the first place).

In addition, the 05A week did not necessarily start on the 1st day of the month. The 04D (or 04E) week would have started near the end of April AND THEN POURS OVER TO THE REMAINDER OF THAT WEEK IN MAY. There are numerous cars out there with D or E week stamps on the trim tags that have factory paperwork showing that their broadcast date (which preceded the commencement of the building of the car) was actually in the first few days of the NEXT month. For example, I own two Baltimore 67 Chevelles with 11E trim tags and factory paperwork showing a broadcast date of December 1. And I have seen at least a dozen other similar examples.

We don't know what the first day of the production week was at that plant, but if you assume it was Sunday then that means that the 04D (or 04E) week continued until Saturday, May 4, 1968. So with that Sunday assumption, 05A = 5/5 - 5/11, and 05B = 5/12 - 5/18, and 05C = 5/19 - 5/25.

So the order for that car could have been broadcast as late as 5/25, which means it would have been built some time after 5/25. Baltimore is not that far from Tonawanda, and an engine built at Tonawanda on 5/20 easily could have been in the Baltimore plant by 5/25.

Again, there are a lot of assumptions in the dates above because we don't know the first day of the production week for purposes of the trim tag broadcast dates. And again I am not saying the stamp itself is legit. All I am saying is that the analysis above shows that it is not necessarily impossible for a 5/20 built engine to be original equipment in a Baltimore car with 05C on the trim tag.

Also, if you assume 6 work days a week (Mon - Sat), based on the factory data that says VIN 190409 was the first car to leave Baltimore in May and 206475 was the last to leave Baltimore in May, if they built the same number of cars each work day that month then this car (203910) should have left Baltimore on the 23rd work day of the month, which was May 27, 1968 -- 7 days AFTER the engine was built. Which is plenty of spread.

Lastly, to prove the point, there is a documented real 67 L78 with engine date (confirmed by the stamp and the POP) of T0420EG, and trim tag date of 04C. There is no question about that car or its docs. And if it could happen in April, it certainly could happen in May!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts