Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1968 L78 Chevelle the owner indicates it's in the L78 registry and registered in September 12, 2020 and there is only 6 1968 L78 registered, I have tried to find L78 register to confirm with no luck.
What documentation does owner need to provide to authentic it is a true L-78

Thanks

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Original engine or documented L78s in any year are very rare so proof is paramount. Paper docs that are authenticated by an expert, or a vin stamping on the block that passes inspection are the only true items I'd except before paying a premium. Not sure how deep a registry goes to authenticate an applicant, maybe someone else can comment on that.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
322 Posts
Have you analyzed the trim tag & VIN as being original and accurate to the car & drivetrain?

Original build sheet or at least the original window sticker would be great to have also.

Paperwork on the car from build to present is also nice to have but that rarely happens unless the seller is original or just has good records.

Is this car the red one on eBay in South Florida? Just curious.

I’ve been looking for my original ‘67 L78 Chevelle SS for many years & it’s likely gone, but I did put it in the L78 Registry.

The Registry is easy to find...just google it. Otherwise someone will post a link here for you. The Registry is kind of a let down though imo because there’s not alot of cars listed, as I recall. People don’t like listing their car’s VIN online.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you analyzed the trim tag & VIN as being original and accurate to the car & drivetrain?

Original build sheet or at least the original window sticker would be great to have also.

Paperwork on the car from build to present is also nice to have but that rarely happens unless the seller is original or just has good records.

Is this car the red one on eBay in South Florida? Just curious.

I’ve been looking for my original ‘67 L78 Chevelle SS for many years & it’s likely gone, but I did put it in the L78 Registry.

The Registry is easy to find...just google it. Otherwise someone will post a link here for you. The Registry is kind of a let down though imo because there’s not alot of cars listed, as I recall. People don’t like listing their car’s VIN online.
Thanks for the information, I was wondering what the guidelines were in providing information to have a car put into L78 register. Yes it is the car in Florida do have any info on the car you want to share, I have contacted a person on the Yenko site he stared a discussion on the car back in October no response yet.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
644 Posts
If you can look...correct GM coded vacuum sec. dual feed Holley, factory “Winters” intake with the right casting #’s, 3/8’s fuel line, 12 bolt rear, 3 or 4 speed. Manual trans.,(I don’t think the TH400 was avail. behind the L-78 yet). These are things you can see quickly, then go to the numbers to verify. But if you are 1000 miles away, that’s another story. For the asking price is it worth while to travel to see, or pay a knowledgeable person to visit and COMFIRM. Way too many wannabes trying to sell clones / fakes, etc.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can look...correct GM coded vacuum sec. dual feed Holley, factory “Winters” intake with the right casting #’s, 3/8’s fuel line, 12 bolt rear, 3 or 4 speed. Manual trans.,(I don’t think the TH400 was avail. behind the L-78 yet). These are things you can see quickly, then go to the numbers to verify. But if you are 1000 miles away, that’s another story. For the asking price is it worth while to travel to see, or pay a knowledgeable person to visit and COMFIRM. Way too many wannabes trying to sell clones / fakes, etc.
Thanks for the input I know it took me 6 years before I found my 1967 SS 396/ Tahoe Turq. with black vinyl top. It had all the paper work plus dealers invoice.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input I know it took me 6 years before I found my 1967 SS 396/ Tahoe Turq. with black vinyl top. It had all the paper work plus dealers invoice.
The car can be seen at Sunshine Classics, LLC. at Boca Raton,FL.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
I just reviewed the ad Rudy, I'd treat it as a standard SS if indeed it is a 13837 car. It's missing all the smog and the smog manifolds, and it's got a few minor miscues that are shown in the pics. Can't understand why a seller provides 90 pics and nothing of the engine stamping. Can you tell us the asking price?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for the information, I was wondering what the guidelines were in providing information to have a car put into L78 register. Yes it is the car in Florida do have any info on the car you want to share, I have contacted a person on the Yenko site he stared a discussion on the car back in October no response yet.
I just saw the car on eBay.....engine appears to be an EG block so it may be an original L78 block.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just reviewed the ad Rudy, I'd treat it as a standard SS if indeed it is a 13837 car. It's missing all the smog and the smog manifolds, and it's got a few minor miscues that are shown in the pics. Can't understand why a seller provides 90 pics and nothing of the engine stamping. Can you tell us the asking price?
I was told $48,000 which is to cheap for a 1968 L-78 I agree with your comments, I have sent an e-mail to seller asking why the L78 register indicates a M22 trans. with a 4.56 rear end, but the ad indicates a M-21 with a 4.10, this made me very skeptical, I think I will continue to look and mark this one up as gaining knowledge to what to look for, thank you and Team Chevelle great bunch of people.

May be early but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year- team Chevelle

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was told $48,000 which is to cheap for a 1968 L-78 I agree with your comments, I have sent an e-mail to seller asking why the L78 register indicates a M22 trans. with a 4.56 rear end, but the ad indicates a M-21 with a 4.10, this made me very skeptical, I think I will continue to look and mark this one up as gaining knowledge to what to look for, thank you and Team Chevelle great bunch of people.

May be early but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year- team Chevelle
There would be nothing wrong with calling the seller and picking his brain, having a list of questions ready. Exchange of information would be a good thing for you and the seller. He might not know the last #'s on the block deck should match the VIN, and such things. If I was actively looking, I'd call. Even if you've decided to look elsewhere it would be a good experience (at least I've found it to be for me personally). If you find out more, please post a follow-up. Good luck whatever you do!

John

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There would be nothing wrong with calling the seller and picking his brain, having a list of questions ready. Exchange of information would be a good thing for you and the seller. He might not know the last #'s on the block deck should match the VIN, and such things. If I was actively looking, I'd call. Even if you've decided to look elsewhere it would be a good experience (at least I've found it to be for me personally). If you find out more, please post a follow-up. Good luck whatever you do!

John
I just sent him a message on eBay since he would not respond on his web site, if he responds I will copy his response.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

John
[/QU
I just sent him a message on eBay since he would not respond on his web site, if he responds I will copy his response.
Response from the seller-That trim tag will indicate the rare Buick Alternate Interior. 765-158 B Someone did put buckets in it at one time. I assume when it was restored they returned the original interior

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Owner of car
Adam Knoblock
Owner
Sunshine Classics, LLC
1800 NW Madrid Way
Boca Raton, FL 33432
561-306-3115
[email protected]
I will like to make a correction to a comment I made earlier, a friend of mine sent me the copy of the 1968-L78 register and gave me the wrong car which I was questioning why it indicated a different trans. and rear end compared to what was posted on the ad, after further reviewing the register and the car my friend sent, he did give me the wrong car. I want to apologize to the owner or anyone else that my comments my have affected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pad stamp is legit. Rarely will you find a build sheet in a 68. Bottom was rattle can spray painted. Has the Buick interior and a bench seat which was common on 375hp cars. Dash does not appeared to be tampered with and has the roller tach with proper redline for a 375hp car. Low to mid 30's.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pad stamp is legit. Rarely will you find a build sheet in a 68. Bottom was rattle can spray painted. Has the Buick interior and a bench seat which was common on 375hp cars. Dash does not appeared to be tampered with and has the roller tach with proper redline for a 375hp car. Low to mid 30's.
Yeah, if I still lived in FL I’d go take a good look at that one, although my fav is still the ‘67 SS! That ‘68 could be turned into a nice car most likely....I love the bench seat as that’s what my ‘67 L78 had....miss it BAD!

Reactions: Sean1970SS
1 - 20 of 28 Posts