Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,need some opinions on a 68 El Camino SS 396 that I'v been pondering about buying.THE GOOD:Real 13880 vin# as well on cowl tag,# matching 396/325HP long block w/orig.intake manifold and chrome valve covers,# matching 400 turbo trans.,power steering w/big block steering shaft,orig.brake booster/master cylinder.orig.walnut steering wheel.THE BAD:No title,talked with mvd and got the name it was last titled under,I did find the brother who ownes a used car lot of the guy last titled under and was told he could help with title?Needs outer quarter skins,fenders,hood,rust repair patches in bed floor,carb,dist.,pulleys,brackets,missing 12 bolt rear has 10 bolt now.Alot of work!Some more details,G-G paint/ash gold,which I'v heard was a rare color?782-A,saddle bench seat,auto on column,orig.int.but has nice 69-72 buckets.I figure the motor and trans.is worth what I can get it for but like I said, needs alot to bring it back.Funky color combo,can't decide whether to walk away or pull the trigger.What do you all think?

·
Registered
14,702 Posts
if its cheap enough, Id grab it. worst case you can always use the parts for another project. The no title could be a issue because when the last registered owner gets a letter asking for a signature so you can get a title, they could ask for the car back and since the car is in their name, legally its theres. If your going to go for a title, just make sure you get a notorized bill of sale so the cops cant say you stole the thing.
Another thing to remember, the title goes to the body. So you could buy the car, pull the drivetrain, seats, brakes etc since you have to blow it apart to fix it up anyway and just take the carcass to the DMV when you get it inspected. That way if the previous owner thinks they hit the jackpot and are getting a car they sold years ago back for free, they would have 2nd thoughts wanting to pay to have a shell towed back to their house. jim

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Price ?has a lot to do with it. Working with the DMV is very time consuming.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
If it is not a 13680 body, It was never a " SS " El Camino. Chevy used the " 13680 " bodys for the SS equipped 68-72 El Caminos & Sprints. My one owner ( SS-454/ M-22 ) that I ordered is a 13680 body.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Price is right I say go for it .. Getting a title is different state to state (i.e. more difficult in certain states). If it was in South Dakota not having a title wouldn't concern me a bit. You may want to understand what it takes in NM. Typically if a former owner hasn't reported it stolen prior to a certified letter he'll have a burden of proof that will have to occur within a certain period - - assuming you have notarized a bill of sale. Once again its different state to state.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I will be sent to the Dumb Azz Dept. Sorry........ My mind was in gear, Befor my brain was turning over. Gotta remember 69-72.
I guess I am a " Very " slow learner...........
Bob:confused:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if its cheap enough, Id grab it. worst case you can always use the parts for another project. The no title could be a issue because when the last registered owner gets a letter asking for a signature so you can get a title, they could ask for the car back and since the car is in their name, legally its theres. If your going to go for a title, just make sure you get a notorized bill of sale so the cops cant say you stole the thing.
Another thing to remember, the title goes to the body. So you could buy the car, pull the drivetrain, seats, brakes etc since you have to blow it apart to fix it up anyway and just take the carcass to the DMV when you get it inspected. That way if the previous owner thinks they hit the jackpot and are getting a car they sold years ago back for free, they would have 2nd thoughts wanting to pay to have a shell towed back to their house. jim
Jim,I'v thought about pretty much all you've said with pulling/stripping all the goodies off just in case.Motor and trans are already pulled sitting in the bed(covered).I'm going to talk to the brother(who lives in my home town)and see if he can talk with last registered owner(his brother)about title issue,hopefully both of these guys will cooperate!?From a couple responses,I guess it would be wise to at least get a bill of sale (notorized)from the actual guy that I'm goin to buy it from correct?I'm gonna also talk to the mvd again and try to get some more info/details to get something accomplished!I'd hate to seperate the drivetrain and other stuff from the body.Don't think he has anybody else seriously interested but if someone else does ends up with it they'll probably part it out,which would be a shame.Well we'll see what happens with title issue>

·
Registered
14,702 Posts
guy local bought a 69SS without a title. when he went to get a bonded title, turns out the car was listed as stolen and the car got impounded right away. The guy he bought the car from had a notorized bill of sale from the guy he bought it from so when the police went to the sellers house to ask some questions he didnt get into any trouble. Its good to have a paper trail on this kind of stuff. jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts