Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really just a curiosity question...

My 68 is an early car (november 67) and when I turn on the lights, the dash has a natural "yellow/white" glow to the lights.

I have seen another 68 that had a "green" glow when its lights were on, just like 69's had.

Is that correct (they changed to green at some point during the year) or did the other car just have something special done to it to give that green glow?

Anyone know?

Thanks-
Ben

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
The dash lights are a clear bulb, both of the dashes I've owned had white background light. I haven't looked at a '69 dash, do they have a green lens for the dash lights that gives it a color? Maybe the guy used a green bulb?
BillL

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 69 had clear bulbs (as does my 68) but the rear part of the guages in the 69 was painted green, which i think gave it the green glow.

As i said, my 68 appears to have yellow/white light- but i have noticed as i have been looking at 68 guage clusters on ebay that some of them also have that green painted metal... I havn't pulled mine out of the car yet to see if it is green or white- but it made me wonder if 68 had both during the model year or not...

I'm sure it could be done by putting green bulbs in, or using the autometer light bulb condoms over the lights- but i wondered if the factory did it (in 68)

Thanks-
Ben

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
The plastic is green under the black coating, and the inside of the metal parts of the cluster are painted a light green. I had to paint the inside of my tach because it was flaking badly. I used a model paint I found in a hobby store.
BillL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts