Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1968 Yellow convertible with a Blue convertible top. Can anyone direct me to some information on this option. The cowl tag is in place on this car too.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
what are the numbers?

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
There's no such option as a blue convertible top. On any 1968 Chevrolet, from the factory, you had your choice of either a white or black convertible top, period.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
picture of the cowl tag puts it rest.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Show us the cowl tag, lets see if you have the right codes.

If the colors are real is should read Y4 next to PNT

Blue clashes with yellow IMO

btw - ragtop color would not be considered an option. Depending on body color you had your choice of top color within reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not own the car. I will get the cowl tag info this week and post it. The link that one of the members sent me only has Blue as a convertible top color in 1968 no other year. My question is...did they really offer a blue convertible top?
The car was an original Butternut Yellow car and the guy said it had a blue top on it when he got it, he took it off and put a white one on. Thats the story he told. I agree it is difficult to imagine this color combination. Thank you for any info you may have.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It appears from your link that there is a question whether or not a blue convertible top was available. If the car has one, and the trim tag doesn;t state otherwise (in other words points to a black or white) then maybe this is one for the books. Understand the skepticism here. Many people with a lot of years as chevelle fans and no proof of what you claim. Let's see it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I understand that skeptism comes easy but the link shows " blue ? " I think that is interesting, there must have been a reason for this. I am looking into owner history to check the story that was told about the Blue top ....we'll see what comes of that.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
There's no such option as a blue convertible top. On any 1968 Chevrolet, from the factory, you had your choice of either a white or black convertible top, period.
I may be forced to eat crow on this one....I see that Colvin's book does list blue as an option for convertible top in 1968 only. That's a new one on me :confused:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Bill - in your defense I think that the blue top might be pretty odd and I don't ever remember seeing one. The link also shows a listing for blue, but has a "?". Maybe it was an intention that blue be an option and never happened.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Pic of the '68 Dealer Album-note that medium blue convertible top fabric is listed and says "each with any exterior color". IIRC the blue top code is 4. A picture of the trim tag of this car would be great to see. PM me for my email if you want to send it to me.
Thanks,
BillL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Pic of the '68 Dealer Album-note that medium blue convertible top fabric is listed and says "each with any exterior color". IIRC the blue top code is 4. A picture of the trim tag of this car would be great to see. PM me for my email if you want to send it to me.
Thanks,
BillL
Bill - or anyone for that matter - have you seen a blue convertible top on any chevelle? And I agree the tag will be cool to see.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Never on a Chevelle. There was a white '68 Impala convertible around here a few years ago with a blue top, and it looked nice. I don't know if it had its original colors or not.
Yellow and blue?? :noway:
BillL

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
That dealer album picture would seem to make it pretty certain that they were at least available. Count me among those waiting to see the TT picture :yes:

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Bill - or anyone for that matter - have you seen a blue convertible top on any chevelle? And I agree the tag will be cool to see.
Blue convertible tops were also available on 67 Chevelles.

Bill - in your defense I think that the blue top might be pretty odd and I don't ever remember seeing one. The link also shows a listing for blue, but has a "?". Maybe it was an intention that blue be an option and never happened.
The reason for the question mark was although GM docs show a blue top for 68 (as well as 67), no number is listed for it. Looking closer at the 68 docs I have, C011 is white ("1" on a trim tag), C052 for black ("2" on a trim tag), and C054 for blue - logic would dictate a trim tag would show the number "4" as it does in 67. But, like others, I've yet to see a tag with a "4" as a convertible top color for 1968. The GM restoration kit for 68 seems does mention the white convertible top is standard with black or blue available with any exterior color and no mention of forbidden combinations. That would make for some interesting cars - could you see a red, maroon, or any of the green convertibles with a blue top?

I was told to go here to this link, there it says under the convertible top colors
3. Blue?

Here is the link http://www.chevellestuff.com/1968/paint.htm

What can you make of this info?
It's been revised to show "4" would be the trim tag code for a blue convertible top.

I do not own the car. I will get the cowl tag info this week and post it. The link that one of the members sent me only has Blue as a convertible top color in 1968 no other year.

See photos for 67 with blue convertible top.

My question is...did they really offer a blue convertible top?
The car was an original Butternut Yellow car and the guy said it had a blue top on it when he got it, he took it off and put a white one on. Thats the story he told. I agree it is difficult to imagine this color combination. Thank you for any info you may have.
Yellow w/blue would be different, that's for sure. A member here sent me some photos of a Butternut Yellow 67 Malibu with blue interior. After a number of years a gentleman finally sent me a photo of his 69 Butternut Yellow Malibu with a Parchment vinyl top along with a photo of the "40 E" coded tag - hadn't seen one of those before either. I guess these types of combinations are out there, just not seen too often. :)

·
Premium Member
19,754 Posts
Thanks Dale - now I have seen a blue convertible top on a malibu. For the record it just doesn't look right even with a blue car.
You are quite welcome but be clear, for your record it may not look right but for others, it looks perfectly legitmate and certainly not out of place. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You are quite welcome but be clear, for your record it may not look right but for others, it looks perfectly legitmate and certainly not out of place. :thumbsup:
You are absolutely right - just one man's opinion. It might just be that since there aren't many of them and I'm not used to seeing them it looks odd. I know that sometimes a new car model comes out and I don't like it - but after seeing it enough it kind of grows on you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts