Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently installing a classic dash in my 68 Chevelle and am having a hard time figuring out how to install my ignition switch. When I fed the ignition switch through the hole in the dash and threaded on the nut and bezel the switch just bounces around loosely. I'm having trouble understanding how the ingition switch mounts to the dash without just flopping around. Attached are a picture of a 68 ignition switch and the dash I'm using.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've received a few PM's from other members and it seems the 68 ignition switch takes a certain metal clip on the back. It is unfortunately not reproduced and ebay turned up nothing. Going to post a wanted ad in the classifieds for one.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
I don't think the factory strap will do you any good. That strap acts as a support and a ground for the cigarette lighter and the key-in buzzer along with bracing the carrier for the installation of the ignition switch. It is screwed into bosses molded into the back of the instrument carrier, and your new dash probably doesn't have the bosses.
You'll probably have to fabricate a plate from some sheet metal and figure out a way to mount it on the back of your dash. You'll need to make a "D" shaped hole in the plate to conform to the shape of the threaded part of the ignition switch to keep the switch oriented properly and so it won't rotate when you turn the key.
Picture below of the stock mounting if that helps.
BillL

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dash does have the bosses/threaded holes for the strap on the back. If that strap slides into the threaded part of the ignition to put it at the right location, it sounds like exactly what I need.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
The threaded part of the switch does go through the strap, then the bezel is screwed on to the switch. It's kinda like a sandwich with the switch/strap and the bezel as the bread and the dash as the meat.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't get out much. :):)
BillL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts