Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do the dash clock/tach conversion to my 1968 Chevelle. Does anyone know if you can buy a new lens without the little hole to adjust the clock, or if i can modify the speedometer side and make it work for the tach side. I really do not want to do the conversion if I'm just going to end up with a random hole in my lens for no reason.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
You cannot switch the lenses side to side. They have a weird curve on them. I have yet to see a right side one without the hole, but once you get a tach in, you barely notice it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts

Here they are!
Hey Scott... So are you saying that the gas gauge Did, or didn't work after that mod?
Any more photos showing a close up of this, or what you had to do on the backside to hold it in place?

Is the tach just pushed through the opening where the clock went from the front, or is it pushed up from the back? did you have to cut anything?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Hey Scott... So are you saying that the gas gauge Did, or didn't work after that mod?
Any more photos showing a close up of this, or what you had to do on the backside to hold it in place?

Is the tach just pushed through the opening where the clock went from the front, or is it pushed up from the back? did you have to cut anything?
It did work! I didn't explain very well. It's been working for 12 years. I have pics of the back of the dash, I will dig them up for you.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
It did work! I didn't explain very well. It's been working for 12 years. I have pics of the back of the dash, I will dig them up for you.

Great! I have to pull my dash out this spring to paint it black anyway... would be a great time to do this mod!
I had done something similar in my 66 442 with a smaller tachometer- but it was real easy, the tach just slid in from the front and was tight enough there was no need to do anything to secure it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

Here is the back. I had to trim a little on the upper left (in the pic) circuit board to get it to fit with the gas gauge intact.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

A better shot of the front. No lense in this pic. If you look close, you can see how it's offset to the left to accommodate the gas gauge winding. It is just sandwiched in between the black face and the rear metal piece, I did not secure it. Hopefully yours will work the same!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts