Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is 100% stock with all the correct #'s. I have a problem with my voltage regulator. It makes a loud vibrating sound at Idle. When i bring the rpms up the sound goes away. All ready replaced one voltage regulator. Have had the alternator tested, are getting 13.9 volts at battery. Maybe the alternator pulley needs to be reduced in diameter to increase it's rpm.
What is the correct diameter of the alternator pulley?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
First check grounding. The voltage regulator needs a clean bare metal connection from its frame to the radiator support sheet metal. There is also a pigtail from battery (-) to the front sheet metal/fender for the main body ground.

Most replacement mechanical regulators are built offshore and have quality issues. Have you tried a Wells/Duralast VR-715 available at Auto Zone? This is an electronic replacement that does a very good job of regulating. The Delco cover can be carefully swapped over to the Wells unit to make it look stock as well.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I agree, The word is "" WELLS "". I put one on my 1970-468 driver 36.000 miles ago. Or 7-8 years? Nicest thing since sliced bread ! :thumbsup:
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Al,

Try the Wells unit first before you rip off the cover :)
Then if all is ok...
Just make sure you clean all the old sealant material off the new Wells unit and install the gasket from the other mechanical regulator before you put the cover on. Or give the Delco cover a good smear of dielectric grease before you place it over the remnants of the Wells cover sealant. This will help keep moisture out of the electronics inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts