Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Petey There are a couple things that would help verify that this was a GM mistake. A pic or a description of the body tag and would you be willing to remove the cowl grill to check the hidden VIN under it?

·
Banned
1,142 Posts
Maybe the dealer removed the SS equipment prior to her buying the car. Wouldn't be the first time a dealer swapped some parts. Who knows? Like I said before, If that car slipped through with a 138 vin then we should all agree that anything could have gotten past them.

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
Maybe the dealer removed the SS equipment prior to her buying the car. Wouldn't be the first time a dealer swapped some parts. Who knows? Like I said before, If that car slipped through with a 138 vin then we should all agree that anything could have gotten past them.
Think about that. The dealer would not only have to remove the entire drive line (engine to rear end), but also remove all SS396 trim pieces and replace them with all Malibu pieces. Replace the dash, seats, etc. on the inside? Dealers were known to paint the rear coves of 66s and paint stripes on 70-72 models because they sold better but to completely redo a 67 SS to a Malibu internally, externally, and drive line...and then come up with a 13617 trim tag to boot? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Think about that. The dealer would not only have to remove the entire drive line (engine to rear end), but also remove all SS396 trim pieces and replace them with all Malibu pieces. Replace the dash, seats, etc. on the inside? Dealers were known to paint the rear coves of 66s and paint stripes on 70-72 models because they sold better but to completely redo a 67 SS to a Malibu internally, externally, and drive line...and then come up with a 13617 trim tag to boot? :rolleyes:
And make less money on the sale

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Well.. if we are all throwing out ideas.... and I freely admit I have not looked at this car in detail.. or seen a TRIM TAG? but my guess is the car was ordered.. a typical order for an SS and soon after at some point during the process.. the order was changed.. owner realizes he/she doesn't need that BIG engine.. and so the car is already tagged.. but the drivetrain is just dropped in as a typical Malibu.. a FLUKE like no other.. but maybe? I would be more interested in seeing the TRIM Tag, the REAR Diff., the Frame rail for partial VIN, behind heater box for partial VIN ( only a Maybe )... and know whether any other tell tale signs of a Real SS are present .. because what we have at this point is Tags that say SS but beyond that.. just a run of the mill Malibu. The better answer is this car was at some time a REAL SS and somebody.. memories are not as good as we all like to believe... somebody yanked that BB 396 and installed a small block... and because the small block engine will never have a VIN stamp, there is no way to match it to the car.. but casting dates on it would be interesting to know..

·
Registered
725 Posts
I looked at the trim tag picture he sent me and it is def. original. It's strange as the vin tag looks original too. Pete obviously did not put that vin tag on there and I think the auction is legit. I would love to see the CON vin on the firewall though. That would provide some answers. Or maybe the one on the frame. Pete should look under the back seat for the little piece of paper framingham chevelles got that had the cowl tag info on it. That would help too.
Warren

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
One must remember that BUILD SHEETS and Broadcast Sheets and the like were not meant to be left in these cars... so to say it should be there is a mistake.. to say it might be there.. is a possiblity.. either in the car.. behind or under or inside seats.. front and back.. in cushions/springs.. or on top of Gas Tank.. are all possible areas where one MAY have been left by a Line worker.

We are all now just doing what any good hobbyist does.. discussing how this could ever happen and not just pointing fingers that the current owner did something sinister... but if the question is whether this car is a good buy.. that should be an easy answer.

Mike Crown

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
Well.. if we are all throwing out ideas.... and I freely admit I have not looked at this car in detail.. or seen a TRIM TAG? but my guess is the car was ordered.. a typical order for an SS and soon after at some point during the process.. the order was changed.. owner realizes he/she doesn't need that BIG engine.. and so the car is already tagged.. but the drivetrain is just dropped in as a typical Malibu.. a FLUKE like no other.. but maybe? I would be more interested in seeing the TRIM Tag, the REAR Diff., the Frame rail for partial VIN, behind heater box for partial VIN ( only a Maybe )... and know whether any other tell tale signs of a Real SS are present .. because what we have at this point is Tags that say SS but beyond that.. just a run of the mill Malibu. The better answer is this car was at some time a REAL SS and somebody.. memories are not as good as we all like to believe... somebody yanked that BB 396 and installed a small block... and because the small block engine will never have a VIN stamp, there is no way to match it to the car.. but casting dates on it would be interesting to know..
I believe it has been established the trim tag says 13617 where VIN says 13817 so they're not a match in that respect - the ad even states the differences. The trim tag goes on very early in the body shell at Fisher and long before it arrives on the Chevrolet side for final VIN assignment and sequencing. I don't think the originality of the car being a 13617 Malibu sport coupe V8 is in question, it's the 13817... VIN plate and 13817... on the title.

I looked at the trim tag picture he sent me and it is def. original. It's strange as the vin tag looks original too. Pete obviously did not put that vin tag on there and I think the auction is legit. I would love to see the CON vin on the firewall though. That would provide some answers. Or maybe the one on the frame. Pete should look under the back seat for the little piece of paper framingham chevelles got that had the cowl tag info on it. That would help too.
Warren
A CON VIN would verify the year/plant/sequence number compared to the VIN. Remember too that the CON VIN never reflects the series or model (i.e., 13817 vs. 13617). Naturally if any CON VIN matched the VIN plate on the door, that'd be pretty strong evidence of a factory screwup of a 13817... VIN being applied to an obvious 13617... Malibu; if sequence didn't match (and assuming the part the CON VIN is located on hasn't been changed) then most would tend to believe the VIN plate itself is not original to the car and not the part of the car with the CON VIN.

Great discussion about the anomoly. :D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
A CON VIN would verify the year/plant/sequence number compared to the VIN. Remember too that the CON VIN never reflects the series or model (i.e., 13817 vs. 13617). Naturally if any CON VIN matched the VIN plate on the door, that'd be pretty strong evidence of a factory screwup of a 13817... VIN being applied to an obvious 13617... Malibu; if sequence didn't match (and assuming the part the CON VIN is located on hasn't been changed) then most would tend to believe the VIN plate itself is not original to the car and not the part of the car with the CON VIN.

Great discussion about the anomoly. :D
We need a CON VIN!

I really enjoyed this discussion too and would like to get a more definitive answer, although we may never have one.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I really enjoyed this discussion too and would like to get a more definitive answer, although we may never have one.
We may if someone here buys this car...

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
If that hidden VIN is the same as the VIN on the door that will remove all doubt. As to the value of the car, there will always be controversy over the SS VIN in a Malibu. Someone could buy it, clone an SS, buy a $200 repop trim tag then sell it as a genuine SS.

I would really like to see that trim tag or at least a description of it - assembly plant sequence #.

With half a million + Chevelles built in 67 I find it easy to accept that a mistake like this may have slipped by.

·
Banned
1,142 Posts
Which part listed above could not have been removed or changed by the dealer? Probably did not happen this way but certainly could have, that is all I was saying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personaly don't care about these numbers as I know what the car was born as but for you guys having fun with it.......
I have more info....
Under the back seat I found a little yellow brittle piece of paper that has the numbers. 198 FR8408 13617 728-A B 2 M 5 M & these numbers match the numbers on the trim tag thats on the fire wall.
Again the vin in the door is 138177G117019

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
whatcha tryin to say Bill?:secret:
Not me Dan. :noway: I've bid as high as what I thought it was worth...as a Malibu. I even went as far as Mapquesting the FL city listed. If I was that interested, I would have pulled the BIN trigger.
But according to PM's received, I do know others lurking here are interested...and have had phone conversations with the present owner.;)
We'll see...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I personaly don't care about these numbers as I know what the car was born as but for you guys having fun with it.......
I have more info....
Under the back seat I found a little yellow brittle piece of paper that has the numbers. 198 FR8408 13617 728-A B 2 M 5 M & these numbers match the numbers on the trim tag thats on the fire wall.
Again the vin in the door is 138177G117019
Pete - thanks

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Like Mike said, the block probably WON'T have a VIN # cast in it. .Mostly the high horsepower cars, like Corvettes ,were stamped, since they were more prone to theft. The D codes were all 283, (except for 1969) .I think it's just a fluke, with a 138 VIN attached to a Malibu. Crazier things have happened on the assembly line. Looks like a clean/solid car. He says sports coupe, which it is. No need to jump on him with both feet guys. I don't think he is trying to pass the car off as anything but an original, solid Malibu. JMO

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Not me Dan. :noway: I've bid as high as what I thought it was worth...as a Malibu. I even went as far as Mapquesting the FL city listed. If I was that interested, I would have pulled the BIN trigger.
But according to PM's received, I do know others lurking here are interested...and have had phone conversations with the present owner.;)
We'll see...

:secret::eek:

YOU MEAN, SOMEONE RIGHT HERE.. MAYBE EVEN SOMEONE IN THIS THREAD... MAY BE BIDDING :D

61 - 80 of 95 Posts