Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before replacing the temp sending unit, can anyone tell me if I'm missing something. The factory temp gauge does not register. The red wire to the gauge is live with the key on. And when the green wire that attaches to the sending unit at the engine head is touched to ground, the gauge rises to hot. That must mean the gauge is good.

Does that mean a bad or incorrect sending unit? The sending unit looks new. I don't suppose it is possible to repair the sending units??

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Originally posted by northern 396:
Before replacing the temp sending unit, can anyone tell me if I'm missing something. The factory temp gauge does not register. The red wire to the gauge is live with the key on. And when the green wire that attaches to the sending unit at the engine head is touched to ground, the gauge rises to hot. That must mean the gauge is good.

Gauge is working, does it move at all when the engine comes up to temp? Read this post for some possible answers.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I seen a lot of bad light bulbs that looked new. Sounds like a bad sending unit. To save some work, pick up a new one, clip a wire to it with a large alligator clip (they're cheap) and clip the other end to ground. Hook up the green wire to the new unit. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the end of the sending unit. The temp gauge should read a rising temperature. If it does, drain the collant and replace the one in the engine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Sounds like a good idea.

When buying a new sending unit, what do I look for? Does it need to be made for a '67 Chevelle or are there generic units at NAPA or other suppliers?

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts