Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
OK, I'll throw in another 2 cents..............I told you a little about my 66 earlier. Bought from original owner 25 years ago, was 283/4 speed, buckets, console car. I added Vintage Air, stereo, ps, pb, front disc, tilt, had it painted, all new interior, rally wheels, it's kinda nice looking and driving, if I do say so myself. Drove it about 100 miles today.
I also have a 56 210 2 door sedan. It now has a 350/700R4, 3:42 rear, Vintage Air, tilt, Ps pb, front disc, pw, pdl, I call it my lazy car. This car was a roller project when I acquired it from my best friend just before he died of cancer. I promised him I'd get it on the road and drive the hell out of it. That was over 14 years ago. It used to take me 5 years to do a car. This one took 11. I've got almost 22K miles on it since it hit the road 3 years ago this month.
Here's the part to think about..............I'm 75 now. I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer when I was 62. That makes you rethink a few things, and you question your immortality a little bit. At the time, I also had my 86 Monte Carlo SS and, my 71 Chevy pickup and a 47 Chevy 2 door sedan that was in pieces in my garage when I got the 56.
You have to have (or better have) a discussion with your family, whether you want to or not. Who want's what, I asked our daughter and son-in-law what their thoughts were. They didn't want to have the talk but we did. They said when we don't need our stuff any more, they'd like the Chevelle, the 56 and the pickup. They said they would move to our place, 5 acres with shop and garage and house. That set the stage.
The Monte Carlo is gone, the 47 is gone, and the rest is all running and usable.
I love having to decide what I want to drive if I'm going somewhere, so all my stuff gets used semi-regularly. It will all be fine for them when I'm gone. My son-in-law is an up and coming hot rodder, with a 67 malibu wagon. Not sure about my grandson yet, but there's time.
I'm not rich by any means, but I don't want to sell any of my rides, because my days to do another have passed. I don't expect to be typing to you 11 years from now about the project I'm finishing.
So, yes, it would take CRAZY money to gt one away from me, and if it happened, I'd probably just give it to the kids.
My story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
Those look like a gorgeous set of original door panels!! If you want those to be "new" too, I'm ready to trade you a set of Legendary's !! LOL

But seriously, great looking car, and if you like it and enjoy it that much, then price it for at least $10K over what you think it is "worth" to someone else who does not know the car so well. If you only get what it is "worth" to a stranger (in terms of an assembly of a bunch of parts), then if you decide to replace it later you only break even, but then you have a car you may not enjoy as much. That's my .02 ...

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Those look like a gorgeous set of original door panels!! If you want those to be "new" too, I'm ready to trade you a set of Legendary's !! LOL

But seriously, great looking car, and if you like it and enjoy it that much, then price it for at least $10K over what you think it is "worth" to someone else who does not know the car so well. If you only get what it is "worth" to a stranger (in terms of an assembly of a bunch of parts), then if you decide to replace it later you only break even, but then you have a car you may not enjoy as much. That's my .02 ...
they are original panels in really nice shape (how can you tell the originals). They are turning slightly to a green color in certain light for some reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am looking at selling my 64 Malibu ss with a LM7 swap a little different. My 14 year old son and I have been building a resto mod for a little over a year. It was going to be his first car. He has learned welding, wiring, body work. The car should be done in about 6 to 9 months. The market is so strong right now but for how long? all the crazy tree huger and Sleepy Joe saying all cars on the road will be electric by 2030 thats only a few years away. We have all seen gas 4-5.00 a gal in the past, could it go to 10.00 a gal and end people enjoying custom cars? A car worth 80k today could be worth next to nothing in 5 years.
I hope I am wrong but the world is changing sadly.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,519 Posts
Yes, age becomes a factor as we get old. I'd love to have a nice 66 or 67 Chevelle but the prices have gone so high they're out of my reach now. When I bought my 71 Malibu I wanted a turn key car but that wasn't the case when I got it. I spent alot of time and money to get it to the point it is now and there is no way I could do it again or do I want to because of my health and age. I could never get into a car like I did with this one so I'll just keep what I have.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I’m not at the point yet where I want to buy a completed car rather than build another project but I can totally see it. Just because I won’t be able to crawl under a car or even spend as much time in the garage doesn’t mean I’ll give up on classic cars.
And I’ve never heard anyone say that gas cars will be outlawed by 2030. Only that NEW CARS will have to be zero emission by 2030. And I’ll bet any amount of money that that will get pushed back.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
And I’ve never heard anyone say that gas cars will be outlawed by 2030. Only that NEW CARS will have to be zero emission by 2030. And I’ll bet any amount of money that that will get pushed back.
AMEN to you for saying that. Simply checking the "Like" icon was just not enough.

I was going say the same thing but honestly I have given up trying to counter the alarmist "facts" that are posing as the truth these days. We are, like it or not, living in a post truth, alternate facts, semi truth world. "All new cars built after 2030 will be EV's" is a far FAR FAR cry from "all cars on the road after 2030 will be EV's.

Simple logic / common sense should prevail but it just doesn't anymore. How the "F" could we go from 300 MILLION gas powered cars on the road in 2021 to ZERO gas powered cars on the road in 8 years? More to the point how does anyone think that is even remotely possible regardless?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I think the other issue is time and buyers that want these cars. Basically your buyer pool is getting smaller as time goes on as the younger generation focuses on their generation of cars. Not to say there are not some young guys under 35 out there that like Chevelles but in 1985 there were a lot more under 35 (or even 50) guys that were interested in Chevelles. I have contractors come to my house and I have 2 cars in great shape a 1965 Chevelle with a 540 and a worked over 2006 Z06 Corvette. When I get a 60 year old plumber he looks at my Chevelle (tells me a few of his car stories) does not even look at Corvette. When I get a 30 year old electrician he looks at Corvette and not the Chevelle. One thing you can do and what you have done here is modernize it with a few things like overdrive etc. to help expand buyer pool. Some guys like flipping cars and get experiences from them you could take money and buy something else you always wanted. Name a price if he does not want it just keep driving it, looks like a really nice car.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yes, age becomes a factor as we get old. I'd love to have a nice 66 or 67 Chevelle but the prices have gone so high they're out of my reach now. When I bought my 71 Malibu I wanted a turn key car but that wasn't the case when I got it. I spent alot of time and monrey to get it to the point it is now and there is no way I could do it again or do I want to because of my health and age. I could never get into a car like I did with this one so I'll just keep what I have.
I would love to get a nice '66. But, right now, they are out of range price wise, so I'm just sitting back waiting for the right one to come along for the right price, or for prices to crater. Not sure which will happen first...

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm currently in the process of eliminating the few gremlins on each of my cars with the plan to sell all but one. Probably send 2 of them to Barret Jackson. They don't all get driven enough, so...

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
they are original panels in really nice shape (how can you tell the originals).
Easy to tell at a glance!! No 67 repro panel is even close to an original as to the definition and depth of the pleating, and the stiffness of the material used to make the "high" parts between the pleats. Legendary panels are very nice, but if put beside a nice original it is no contest.

The only exception is SMS's hand-made repro door panels which are nearly exact duplicates of originals. But it took $850 and 2 years (and multiple calls culminating in a threat to sue them) to finally get the set of those that I bought. So ... I'd still always rather have nice originals!

They are turning slightly to a green color in certain light for some reason.
That is probably not very different from the way they looked when new. Original bright blue vinyl takes on different hues in different light and angles of light. But if it bothers you at all, again I'd be thrilled to swap you a brand new set of Legendary panels! :)

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
PM me a picture.

·
Registered
'66 Chevelle
5 Posts
Honestly I built this over 10 years, I stopped keeping receipts years ago. I finally got it on the road last fall. I build my cars to drive and it does that very well. 75+ on the expressway effortlessly. Yes, AC would be great, matter of fact it’s on my short list. I also have been looking at TMI buckets but nobody can tell me if I will sit lower than my bench. I’m tall.
Nice car! I've thought about giving in to the offers over the years... but ultimately I always felt like I'd regret it so I never did (or should I say I haven't to date, never say never)...

Regarding TMI seats, I too had a bench seat in my '66 and always wanted to switch over to buckets, did a ton of research but couldn't really find any info on TMI seats and their fitment but I gave them a shot anyway. I waited for their spring sale (as you know they aren't cheap so 10 or 15% is a good chunk of change. I opted for the Pro series sport low backs... I have LT Blue interior and the their LT Blue is slightly off from the original. Not a huge deal for me as mine is a daily driver, and they sell the sport rear seat covers to match and you can get extra vinyl (approx. $80 a yard) if you need to build a console (which I plan on doing) even though I bought one of their universal consoles, I kinda want to extend it towards the front like a true center console. I'm 6' 4" and I have no problems with the seat height, I feel like they are definitely lower than the stock bench, I plan on modifying the seat brackets to raise the front of the seat up a bit, maybe an inch or so to get a little more thigh support (the side bolsters offer ample support as well). A couple of quality control issues I encountered, ie... welding slag in the threads of the mounting brackets. (I had to clean up all the threads, which was no easy task with a regular tap and dye set, yes there was that much slag in them), and I feel like the vinyl could fit better around the base. Despite these issues I am happy with them, as I don't feel like there's a whole lot of options out there in LT Blue.
Vehicle Car Blue Hood Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Blue

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Look great other than that TMI on the sides. I heard its $150 to delete that.

Reactions: O'Man

·
Registered
'66 Chevelle
5 Posts
Thanks, didn't know you could get them without the TMI logo... probably would have paid the $150 had I known...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts