Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1967 Malibu. LS 6.0, LS2 intakeLS6 cam, 4L60 trans. 9" ford with a trutrack 3:50 gear. 4WDB, CV driveshaft jeep box, all new suspension with all tubular arms and tall upper and lower ball joints. All new interior, bench seat. Digital dash. Paint is 9 out of 10 because I drive it. Easy 20mpg cruising @ 65.

I have a guy that is relentlessly asking for me to sell it. I really dont want to though but you never know. I've put 4k trouble free miles on it this summer and absolutely love driving it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morris 3 point belts front and rear. Interior is new from carpet to headliner.

Reactions: kmakar

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Why did all these cars including mine get shot by 12 gauges in the cowl. I fixed about 20-30 BB's. Anyway Al that is a very nice looking car but it doesn't appear to have all the comforts of home like fancy AC, radio's, power windows, locks and custom seats that many restomoder's like. She is clean and I would think as a private sale you could get 60k to the right buyer so tell him 80k and it's his. After all I can hear it in your typing you really don't wanna sell her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We always say we will never get out of a car what we’ve put into it. Do feel this is the case for you? About what do you have in it and do you think you can get that or more?

really nice car by the way.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly I built this over 10 years, I stopped keeping receipts years ago. I finally got it on the road last fall. I build my cars to drive and it does that very well. 75+ on the expressway effortlessly. Yes, AC would be great, matter of fact it’s on my short list. I also have been looking at TMI buckets but nobody can tell me if I will sit lower than my bench. I’m tall.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Why did all these cars including mine get shot by 12 gauges in the cowl. I fixed about 20-30 BB's. Anyway Al that is a very nice looking car but it doesn't appear to have all the comforts of home like fancy AC, radio's, power windows, locks and custom seats that many restomoder's like. She is clean and I would think as a private sale you could get 60k to the right buyer so tell him 80k and it's his. After all I can hear it in your typing you really don't wanna sell her.
That is a beautiful car & build.

I'm with Bill. Throw $80k out there. Unless that is not absurd enough for you. If not, throw out a higher number. Just be prepared to take it.

Worst case, you get the guy off your back, unless he keeps pestering you, and then all you have to do is keep repeating the same number.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I have a 66 Malibu that I bought from the original owner 25 years ago. It's got a 350, 4 speed, buckets, console car, Was originally a 283 car. I've added Vintage Air, front disc brakes, tilt, PS, ralley wheels, Had it painted about 15 years ago, and all new interior. I'm just saying this to explain conversations I've had with people.
I get asked how much I'll sell it for, and I tell them I'm not looking to sell it. Then I get the old line, everything has a price. I've given them a rediculous number, and get told it's not worth that much. I respond, see, I told you, it's not for sale.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
I'm with the $80+K guys IF you'll make a nice profit, But what then build another?

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm with the $80+K guys IF you'll make a nice profit, But what then build another?
Therein lies the problem. When I built my 70 I was in my early 40's. Took me 2 years. I then built my 67 and it took 10. I don't know if it was lack of interest or what but it took a lot longer. My kids were home and we were always busy.

I'd have to start out with something painted nice, the mechanicals are not a big deal, just a lot of $$$$ the problem is I would probably build it just like this so not sure what I would do. Im pretty sure He wouldn't buy it at that number anyway but I guess you never know.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
If it were me I'd price it at the cost of buying what you want already Properly done, except maybe a 70 since those seem to be much higher priced but then again? or still price it like a well completed car and build one yourself, I'd like to build one 100% myself but being honest with myself I can't do body & paint so there's a great deal of $$$ going out so I'd either sell what I have now to buy a completed car or just keep what I have, I'm not doing the Body & Paint Prison deal ever again , learned my lesson on the real thing 40 yrs ago and learned my lesson on car prison a few yrs ago (y)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Therein lies the problem. When I built my 70 I was in my early 40's. Took me 2 years. I then built my 67 and it took 10. I don't know if it was lack of interest or what but it took a lot longer. My kids were home and we were always busy.

I'd have to start out with something painted nice, the mechanicals are not a big deal, just a lot of $$$$ the problem is I would probably build it just like this so not sure what I would do. Im pretty sure He wouldn't buy it at that number anyway but I guess you never know.

There is the rub indeed. If you are wanting to have a car to drive (versus having a car to work on) consider how long the 67 took to build. Maybe the kids are gone now (maybe not) but you are not gettin younger so I would suspect a 2 year build on the next car is not in the cards. I know I can't rip thru things like I used to. It just takes longer for everything.

Maybe it won't be 10 years but if you really enjoy driving versus building and you WANT to stay in the hobby consider the time before being back on the road with the next car. If you are ready to hang it up on the car hobby I say go with the insane number strategy.

Caution advised however if you think you would start working on another car after selling the 67, Time could pass and you might find yourself losing interest and letting the new car sit in the garage in a constant "work in process" state. I enjoy working on the car more than just going for a "ride to nowhere"! Without the pull of getting the car ready for going on The Power Tour, just for example, my car can sit forever between start and finish of something like a project to add on A/C or upgrade my seats or get a 9 inch rear. Hell I dragged my feet just ordering the 9 inch for maybe three weeks while I mentally screwed around with analysis of every aspect of the order specifications.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a very similar build to yours and had a guy offer me 70k just a couple weeks ago at a car show. He knew he could not have one built for less than 100k. The market for restomods is hot right now. I declined his offer due to the fact that I dont have time to build another and want to enjoy what I have. I am battling liver cancer for the last 14 months an feel lucky to have made it this long following the initial diagnosis .At least my wife will have some kind of idea as to it's value when it's time part with it ,but for now, we're keeping her.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Great looking car and it looks like you are enjoying it. When my car was on the road many years ago, I’d get people asking me how much I’d want for it. My stock reply was “you wouldn’t be willing to pay me what it would take for me to sell it.” Your car is much nicer than mine was. I agree with everyone else. Shoot for the moon. Every man has his price.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. This build was a perpetual project. Two things that finally got me going on it. I figured I’m not getting any younger and have a few health issues and didn’t want to leave my family with a worthless project car and two, it wasn’t worth anything not put together so I just kept working on it pretty hard the Last 2 years and finally got it done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts