Team Chevelle banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '67 Chevelle SS 396 and the rear window track/channel is rusted away as many of them are. The roof top and sail panels are perfect and no rust. I'm hoping to get some ideas as to what I can do to repair the problem. I have the opportunity to buy a roof/top from a 1966 Chevelle coupe. The guy who owns it says it will fit my Chevelle SS as they are the same size and would be an exact fit. He also says it's in perfect condition. I need to get some ideas and information from anybody and everybody who reads this. Is it a wise idea to remove the top of my 67 Chevelle and take a chance the top of the 66 Chevelle will indeed fit or should I make some kind of effort to repair the rear window track/channel instead?

Perhaps someone out there who reads this even has another completely different plan and idea on how to resolve this situation. I can't progress any further with my SS until I get this issue rectified.

Hope there are some experienced people out there who have been thru this before.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my delima and really appreciate anyone's assistance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete. The guy with the new top is asking $400 for it and he won't cut out the part I need. I dont blame him. Do you think $400 is too much or?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
if you don't need the roof or the sail panels, then you dont need to spend the $400.

I would buy the trunk filler panel from your preferred supplier & have a good body man weld it in. That panel is available in a USA manufactured version for about $100. I believe I bought mine from NPD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it isn't the filler panel I need. It's the channel where the rear window sits. it's a part of the top itself. they are two different parts. so I think I either buy the top or if someone knows if the channel can be rebuilt with new sheet metal then i'm kind of stuck

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Is it the bottom of the rear window channel or the top?

If it's the top of the rear window, your only options is to buy the entire piece, or have a good metal man fabricate a new patch panel.

The bottom of the channel is included in the reproduction filler panel.

It would help if you could post a photo of your problem area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the damage encompasses not only the bottom of the channel but up each side half way up. it's entirely rusted out in those areas. the previous owner tried to bondo the hell out of it for cosmetics but it soon all fell out especially once I removed the rear window.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
So your outer sail panels are ok, but the inner sail panels & the channels that run up & down are rotted away?

In that case, you have a choice to make. If the '66 you're buying the roof from is 100% rust free, you could choose to buy that roof section for $400. The odds of it being a midwest car with that section completely rust free are pretty slim, so you'd really have to check it out before having him cut it off.

If it's not completely rust free, I would pass. I would buy the filler panel & find a guy to fabricate the side channels for you. Or you could purchase repro sail panels & have your body man cut off the channels & use them are patch panels. If your outer sail panels are good, I would NOT replace the entire sail panel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the inner and outer sail panels are in great shape. it's just the track itself where the window fits in that is all rusted out.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
as stated above a good body man can fabricate and replace the metal in those places, and I would buy the rear panel between the glass and trunk as it has the lower window channel on it. Then you are only left with the sides.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
TAKE SOME PICTURES. You won't have to keep explaining yourself over and over. We can better help you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
the inner and outer sail panels are in great shape. it's just the track itself where the window fits in that is all rusted out.

The "halfway up" rust is the sail panel, which was mfg'd as part of the quarter panel. Have you stripped the paint in that area? What's it look like from inside the trunk? Rust like that is a good indicator of rust in the substructure. It's likely that it rusted from the inside; the sheetmetal conceals that kind of damage until you peel back the layers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I thought my quarters were decent except for the inside sail area and trunk divider. Stripped it all and found much more. Ended with two full quarters, divider, and tail panel. Make sure to check it all out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts