Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,172 Posts
This car was just on ebay with a starting bid of $52,500. No bids were placed.

·
Registered
607 Posts
one thing that bugs me is paint on the door striker washer.come on,you go to all the trouble to change the color yet can't take the striker bolt out to paint.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The stamp pad looks too good. Too sharp, too perfect for an engine that is over 50 years old.
Not saying it is impossible to find one like this.

Just a thought.
I'm definitely no expert, but even though the numbers look really good, aren't those broach marks legit looking?

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
I'm definitely no expert, but even though the numbers look really good, aren't those broach marks legit looking?
Notice something about the stamp pads below.
They exibit something I will call patina. They are old looking. Cleaning with a strong solvent doesn't remove that patina.
When I see a stamp pad on a old engine that is completely clean, fresh, sharp I get suspicious.

There are shops that will supply you with a block with what ever you want stamped on the pad and they will provide a "fresh" pad to be stamped. Various procedures used to create the broach marks, including two places I have heard of that claim to have the broach machine.

I would like to see Protecto plate for that car.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Numbers matching is what is stated in no way saying it is the original engine.
Do not confuse the 2.

Rebuilt tilt steering column replacement fuel tank and wiring harness.

I have had older cars that did not need those things.
My 57 has original wiring harness and still using the original key.It had 75,000 miles on it 6 years ago when i got it from under a tree.
My 65 Ford still had original headlights and all original air It did need a fuel tank though.

This Chevelle is not bad and I feel was built to the way the owner wanted it built.
Probably make a really good driver.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Notice something about the stamp pads below.
They exibit something I will call patina. They are old looking. Cleaning with a strong solvent doesn't remove that patina.
When I see a stamp pad on a old engine that is completely clean, fresh, sharp I get suspicious.

There are shops that will supply you with a block with what ever you want stamped on the pad and they will provide a "fresh" pad to be stamped. Various procedures used to create the broach marks, including two places I have heard of that claim to have the broach machine.

I would like to see Protecto plate for that car.
Makes sense.
I have heard of a Corvette restoration guy in Wisconsin that has a broaching machine. Not sure what his criteria requirement is in order to stamp a block. He very well might require legit paperwork and/or protecto-plate.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Neat car, but IMHO the original turquoise would have been a better color choice.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
My 67 must have been on the same line as this one.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There is an ad on eBay right now to have a GM block broached for $650. They say they also offer stamping service although that isn’t priced.
Engines Limited in Wisconsin says they will broach and stamp blocks too. This is from their website:

IMPORTANT:
We broach and stamp blocks that look to be factory original. We do NOT do this for fraudulent
intent. We do it for Theft ID and restoration purposes only.
DISCLAIMER:
We have had our stamps pass judging and our broaching has passed judging but we do not guarantee it.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
There is an ad on eBay right now to have a GM block broached for $650. They say they also offer stamping service although that isn’t priced.
Engines Limited in Wisconsin says they will broach and stamp blocks too. This is from their website:

IMPORTANT:
We broach and stamp blocks that look to be factory original. We do NOT do this for fraudulent
intent. We do it for Theft ID and restoration purposes only.
DISCLAIMER:
We have had our stamps pass judging and our broaching has passed judging but we do not guarantee it.
We do NOT do this for fraudulent intent, we do it to make money from people that do it for fraudulent intent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts