Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was just restored a couple of years ago, full frame off, rebuilt 1970 396 L34 350hp and M20, not numbers matching, new trunk pan, floor pan and hood, rest of the metal was in great condition when blasted bare. New chrome bumpers and trim, full new interior kit installed, all new suspension, bushings, brakes, etc.. only driven 1,500 miles since restoration. The car was repainted full Tahoe Turquoise with a Turquoise interior, it looks really good but originally it would have been a 2 tone with a painted white top. Other than that its a full stock restoration. The car is owned by the restoration shop owner and his shop that restored it has been restoring cars since 1980 so I am comfortable that they do good work.

From what I have decoded on the cowl tag:
Built 5th week of May 67
67 SS 2 Door Coupe
Kansas City
Trim Med Turquoise Buckets
Paint Tahoe Turquoise / Ermine White
Group 1 Tinted Windshield, Two Tone Paint
Group 2 M20 4 Speed, Center Console

I know the pics are not great but what would you ballpark a fair price to be?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Dont know but you should try to get some pics of underneath IMO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are going to see it on Friday so the plan is to put it on a hoist and look under it. The seller says it was a full frame off and the car was from the southern US with minimal rust when he bought it originally 20 years ago. It has all new fuel lines, fuel tank, brake lines, etc so my expectation is that it will look really good under there and everywhere else too. If thats the case what price would you expect?

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
What’s he asking for it
X2. Save us all some time and tell us what the seller is asking for the car. After all I assume if the car is for sale the asking price is not a secret.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
I live in the southern US, Florida and cars get a lot of salt air if the live near the beach, new fuel & brake lines might not be anything since it was restored but Id be looking a little deeper to be sure no rust anywhere, could be a $35K car

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
To be honest $34K seems like a very reasonable price for the car. Almost too low if it doesnt have any major issues. Typically they are at least $15K higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate your eye on the rocker trim, will take a closer look in person. Hopefully it checks out to be a solid car that had a good quality restoration. I know from doing some sales research and a Hagerty valuation it seemed to be a reasonable, but condition is everything. Thanks for your expertise in the Chevelle area thus far, please share anything else you see or would suggest I take a look at.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
299 Posts
I agree with blm.....$35k sounds very reasonable but much depends on the quality of the restoration and up close examination. A nicely done restoration with no rust & very nice paint and engine bay detailing will easily be $15k more. Before seeing any other prices, and I followed this thread from the other thread, I was going to say a car like this would be $45k to $60k depending on quality & details.

Edit: After looking at the photos on my computer, I'd like to mention a couple things. Engine compartment looks very average, and not quite up to snuff. But, it may just be the photos and it's dirty in there. Something about the fenders along the hood line looks weird on both sides (dented?)...maybe just the photo. The trim tag looks very good however. Also, I believe only two-tone cars will have that chrome trim strip along the bottom of the rear window roof wing. It looks funny with the whole car being torquoise. I do like the overall one color, but then that chrome strip would have to go.

Wheels & hubcaps don't look stock to me. Nice original wheels and dog dish caps or rally wheels would look proper on this one.

I'd say, after looking at the photos, the car would be in the $35k -$38k range. With some tweeking, assuming the paint is fine, it would show much better than the way it is right now. I'd remove the white striping on the sides if it were mine. I never liked those stripes....they came off my new '67 within a few months of arriving.

Good luck,

John

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
Remember guys it's a 70 drive train, not original but I'm not up on orginal 67's either :)

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,341 Posts
Asking 34K seems like a good deal if the car checks out great in person and underneath. I agree with John that the sail panel trim looks very odd with the car and roof being one color. And dump those wheel covers - at the very least find a set of 67 Chevelle wheel covers (should be cheaper to find as almost no-one runs them) until you get the look your want. Bonus that it has power steering and power brakes. Looks like they paid attention to detail on the interior too. Make sure it still has its proper 12 bolt rear end.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Nice car. Not my type as I like modern upgrades like OD trans, ac, etc but it looks solid.
Check the rivets on the VIN tag; they should be "star" rivets to verify it's a true 138.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good call on the rivets, I have read about those star ones for the vin plate and the open style rivets for the Cowl tag.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
The Chrome Trim on the Roof Sail Panels is that it likely had a Vinyl Roof before

·
Premium Member
7,003 Posts
Those look like Ford LTD hubcaps, what the heck? Beautiful car though.

Reactions: RAIDER SS
1 - 20 of 36 Posts