Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, There was a Recall,

Is there any way to tell if a car was updated?

Info here..

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle Steering Recall 66V032001
Action Number: N/A 
Service Bulletin Number: 66V032001 
Report Date: Jan 19, 1966 
Component: Steering 
Potential Units Affected: 138878 
Manufacturer: General Motors Corp.
Summary:
Consequence:
Remedy:
Notes: Possibility that steering shaft may have been improperly installed. This could cause a binding condition which, even though not noticable to the owner ,might subject the shaft to abnormal stresses under certain conditions. Should these stresses be severe enough or extend over a sufficient period of time, the steering shaft could break with resultant loss of steering. (replace all shafts with improved design. )

https://www.automd.com/recall/campaign_c63710/

https://www.automd.com/recall/chevrolet_m/chevelle_mm/?page=2

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Good question. Since there was very little, if any, computer tracking back then, it would have to have been handwritten paperwork to trace recalls. I remember taking a '66 396 Biscayne under recall in to the local dealer to get the left motor mount "fixed". IIRC, Chevy's answer to that was a steel cable bolted from the engine to the frame. After the fix, I kept the paperwork in the glove compartment. It was still there when I sold the car and who knows what happened to it after that. Most people probably threw their recall paperwork away afterwards. Dealerships from back then, still in existence now, may have copies of recall work performed, but that would be liking looking for the old needle.....

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Would it be for a 1966 Chevelle as the date of the memo is January 1966 well before the 1967 were produced? Also has a 66 number in front of it.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
That date reference is wrong. The recall was in December of 66 or January of 67. It covered 67 Chevelles built up to a specific date in December of 66 (I'll have to find my original set of the recall literature to remember the exact cutoff date).

It was to replace the entire steering shaft, on all 67 Chevelle models and body styles built before that cutoff date. The recall notice does not elaborate on the nature of the problem other than mentioning the shaft may have been improperly installed, but it has something to do with the collapsible feature of the shaft. Early cars that have not had the replacement done have a black painted shaft, whereas the recall and later built cars have a bare shaft. So the problem might have been the paint, which would have interfered with the sliding of the small end of the shaft into the large end during the collapsing process. The literature does not say that though, so that is just a guess.

To answer the original question, yes there is a way to tell if it was done on a car (assuming the dealer did everything the bulletin told them to do). On cars that had it done the dealer doing the work was supposed to knock a divot in the VIN tag above the first digit (1) with a center punch to signify that the recall work had been completed on that car. I have several cars that had the recall done (and they all have the divot), and a couple that did not (which have black painted shafts and no divot).

Another interesting fact is that a lot of SS cars with manual steering got small block replacement shafts. The shaft can be changed without taking the column out of the car, if you unbolt the steering box and swing it over out of the way. That was a whole lot easier and faster (and therefore more profitable for a dealer's service dept.) than taking the entire column out, changing the shaft, and putting it all back in. So, since the shaft was going back in from the bottom rather than the whole column going back in from the top, the bolt-on flange was not necessary to clear the exhaust. I have two unrestored original survivor early 67 SS's that have small block steering shafts, and both of them have the divot in the VIN tag.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Knowledge, thanks..

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I will have to check mine for interest sake.
Be funny to take it in to the local dealer and see if they would honour the recall.
Happy New Year All

1 - 6 of 6 Posts