Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Re: 1967 Chevelle LT Swap

the brand new LT or the 92-97 LT motor?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1967 Malibu Coupe LT engine swap

I'm new to this forum, but I expect I'll be hanging out here a lot in the next couple of years. I just bought a gutted 67 Chevelle with no engine and transmission and I'm looking at dropping an LT and a 4L60E (maybe) from a donor car in. I know the LS is labor and money intensive and you have to cut the oil pan etc. etc. Does anyone know if the LT is an easier install? Are there any articles out there? I'm hoping it will just drop right in.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts

With all the aftermarket support these days, an LS swap is a bolt in affair. All the costly items like the wiring harness, computer, fuel pump/tank are items you will have to address with the LT swap anyway. The LT4 are great engines though aside from the ignition cap and rotor placement behind the water pump which are costly to service. With some google searching, I'm sure you can find hours of reading on both swaps.

·
Registered
261 Posts

go the LS route. better engine and more aftermarket support. If you decide to stay LT, do some reading on the common failure issue with the opti-spark design. There are ways to eliminate the weak link, but that means more mods.

Reactions: 64tempestwagon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

My only concern are the radical modifications when installing the LS and the 4L60E. Different oil pan, modifications to the exhaust headers, clearance issues with the steering linkage, modifications of the floor tunnel. I would much rather go with the LS but I want to be able to handle it with chopping the car to pieces. Anyone have any advice? I've built a lot of engines, but I'm a green horn with this LS swap.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

There is a guy that did an excellent swap into his 1965 El Camino, looks like a factory 1995 under the hood.
Late-Model Power
He used the tank and everything. I decided to get the FiTech setup based on his idea to use the Roadmaster tank and factory fuel pump. (no, I still haven't put it in yet, other projects...)
I had a 1994 LT1 Caprice LS, and would LOVE that setup in my El Camino. Tons of torque for factory setup, would get 30mpg on the highway at 70MPH.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts

martin, I second doing an LS instead of the LT. There's a reason why the LT1 were only used for a few years. I have the LQ9 in my 71, and anything you need can be had online.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

I did a LT1 swap into my 67 El Camino, replacing a regular small block. It did pretty much bolt in using the mounts, transmission, radiator and headers I had. Wiring and fuel system took a bit more work, but not too hard. I used a Painless Wiring harness as I didn't get any wiring with the engine.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

There is a guy that did an excellent swap into his 1965 El Camino, looks like a factory 1995 under the hood.
Late-Model Power
He used the tank and everything. I decided to get the FiTech setup based on his idea to use the Roadmaster tank and factory fuel pump. (no, I still haven't put it in yet, other projects...)
I had a 1994 LT1 Caprice LS, and would LOVE that setup in my El Camino. Tons of torque for factory setup, would get 30mpg on the highway at 70MPH.

I owned my 94 corvette with the LT-1 and auto for 9 years now. I never saw 30 mpg or got close to that figure. my car is all stock too. now dads 2000 6 speed vette with the LS-1 he got close to that mark a few times. haven driven both there is no way I would even consider a LT-1. hell a real 70-72 LT-1 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm not really looking for a lot of performance or fuel economy. I just want something that's fuel injected, runs decent, and looks good under the hood without a lot of mods. It would be easy to slap an old LT gen I with a Edelbrock carburetor but I wanted to do something a little different. If the 92-97 Gen II LT will bolt right in, I'll probably go that direction. It looks like it will.

Any advice on the transmission fit? Is the 4L60E a good choice, or would you all recommend something else.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

If you get a LT type engine from an Impala be aware that there was a 4.3 L V-8 engine that looked externally like the 5.7 L V-8 engine.
Yep, a quick way to tell is all the 5.7 LT1 B bodies got dual exhaust, the 4.3 got a single.
I think of the 90s LT1 as the ZZ4 with injection and perfect drivability. Around town the big Caprice did use the gas, but when driving across country following our El Camino, the Caprice got 30 across Texas, and the El Camino with original 327 & 3sp got 16. Speeds were probably more 65ish. Performance wise the bone stock Caprice LS LT1 with tow package (extra cooling, posi) ran 15.1 at 90.5 with 118K miles, still had original everything under the hood including plugs,wires, optispark. I did the homeplate & 1st base removal, still have the homeplate hanging on the wall.
Performance wise, I'm sure the LS is by far the way to go. Drivability and ease of install, LT1/LT4.
Ease of wiring, probably aftermarket EFI on existing engine.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

A 700R4 would be a whole lot easier to instal. And basicly the same thing as 4L60R just not computer controlled. Why not build a 350 and run a Holley fast EFI or something similar. The cost of converting a LT-1 and LS would about the same as your going to need a oil pan for both, computer and wiring for both and odds and ends. With a LS your have more aftermarket help, more reliable engine with better performance. A LT was fine 25 years ago. But GM realized how terrible of a design it was and only used it for a short time and limited cars.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts

My son would try to stop you from putting an LT-1 into your car. Opti-Sparks are expensive and we/I have installed 3 into his 94 Camaro Z-28. The first was a cheap auto parts store rebuilt unit that only lasted about 6 months. The second was a very expensive AC Delco unit that lasted about a year. The last was an MSD unit that is vented, and it has been on there for a couple years now. You have to put a vented unit on. The venting keeps the moisture off of the optical sensor and seems to work well. The cooling system flows differently, and the water pump is really weird.

My son hates his car because of that motor, and now he wants to buy some little turd car with a turbo! He's ruined now! Thanks LT-1!!!! :mad:

I "personally" don't like to see LS conversions in Chevelles, but you can do what you want. In my opinion...put a blower, turbo, port EFI, or 8 stack on your motor, but keep your small block. Again, just my opinion...

One more thing, three pedals are more fun than one. A TKO or T-56 are real nice additions. :D

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

Mark I am on my 5th opti in nine years. so don't feel bad. if my car was worth it I would have done the coil pack conversion years ago that would eliminate the opti sensor

Reactions: MarkP

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts

Yeah Keith, getting rid of that Opti-spark is very expensive and a pain in the butt to change! There is absolutely no room to do anything on that Camaro and I believe the Corvette would be the same. The water pump gasket started leaking when the gasket blew out. The Opti-spark got moisture in it and was running poorly for a little while, but it straightened out luckily. That vented MSD unit is a must. Close to $500, but well worth it. Edit: $516 from MSD with a warning that it may cause cancer in California! Another reason not to use one! :D

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

You can get the kit for less then 800 bucks. The helpful key is to find 8 good used coil packs. To buy all new would set you back some coin. There is room you just need to get creative. And it could pay for it self over time if it would save you from replacing the junk optis on the market today.

Reactions: MarkP

·
Registered
12,255 Posts

Use EFI on a Gen1 unless you have some budget and are good with wiring

Not knocking the LT1 block/heads ok but that ignition system sorry guys is as reliable as a stripper on meth imo. Some guys have good luck but if an opti goes prepare to dig deep just a pain theres easier ways to have an EFI car

1 - 20 of 36 Posts