Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the car is painted and ready to go back together. The chrome that runs along the top where the windows roll up, is there a weather strip between the chrome and the car roof? Does the back carpet go in first and the front lap over the back?

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
There is a type of foam gasket that sits between the roof & the stainless weatherstrip gutter. The originals were self adhesive, but that stuff is tough to come by. I found a 50 foot roll of it at the Long Beach swap meet a few years ago, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I put the unused portion of the roll. :confused:

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot & just buy some foam rubber strips that are used for home windows. You don't even have to glue them, there are about 8-10 screws on each side that will hold them in place.

The rear carpet should be installed first. The front part of the carpet will overlap the rear.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I plan on using 3M strip caulk when mine goes back together. It's similar to the black "dum dum" that was in there.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I plan on using 3M strip caulk when mine goes back together. It's similar to the black "dum dum" that was in there.
Are you referring to the same area? I can tell you for certain, that dum dum was NOT originally used between the roof & the stainless weatherstrip gutters. I'm not saying strip caulk wouldn't work, but it definitely wasn't used in that area from the factory.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Are you referring to the same area? I can tell you for certain, that dum dum was NOT originally used between the roof & the stainless weatherstrip gutters. I'm not saying strip caulk wouldn't work, but it definitely wasn't used in that area from the factory.
Agreed. Foam was original and is easier to use for installation than strip caulk. Simply due to adhesion and compression.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Agreed. Foam was original and is easier to use for installation than strip caulk. Simply due to adhesion and compression.

"You are correct Sir" I dug the stainless trim out last night for a closer look and it does look like a black foam. It was balled up on the ends and at first glance when it was disassembled it looked like dum dum..............
Soooo any more ideas where to find it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts