Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for some fairly big tires and wheels....clearance is good at full turn either direction, BUT....when I make a partial turn, the outside tread of the right front tire passes the closest point of the fender and the tread catches the edge. I can't hear it or feel it while going forward because the tread is sliding off the chrome wheel well trim. But when I am backing up the tread is running into the end of the trim and it does make noise. A friend and I checked the front and back wheels center to center on both sides and the right side is shorter by almost a quarter inch. I don't want to pull the fender out or go with narrower tires. Is there an adjustment to the suspension that will move the right front tire backward just a bit? I am planning on replacing the coil springs at some point, so if there is a adjustment to be made that will be the time to do it. The wheels are 15 x 8 chrome rallys and the tires are 255/60R15. Over time, the tires will wear and this may go away, but if there is a fix I want to do it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
What are your current alignment specs?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Backspace is 4.5 inches. Brakes are drum. Alignment is unknown. What I do know is the previous set of tires were worn almost to the tread depth indicators and they were worn evenly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if the body is centered on the frame, haven't taken any measurements. Mainly I am wondering if there is a suspension adjustment that will move the right front tire back away from the fender if I get into the front suspension. The center-to-center distance from front tire to rear tire is longer on the right side, so the outside tread is barely catching the front of the trim on the fender near the bottom when making a partial turn.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
If you can find the spot where its hitting the trim you can tweak or slightly bend the fender below the trim inwards and away from the tire and then put the trim back on.You should only have to change the angle of the fender lip not bend it completely.I had to do something similar on my 78 Cutlass Supreme

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Where exactly is the Tire catching the Chrome Trim on the Fender when Backing Up ?
Front of Tire or Back of Tire ??

Pics would be good !!

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
The fix for my 66 (no pun intended) was smaller front tires. 235/60R15. My rubbing was at the rear middle wrinkle of the inner fenders.

Is your fender brace (rod) attached ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

First pic, I backed up and turned the steering wheel until I heard the tire scrub. Second pic is a close up of the first. Third pic, I let the car roll forward about a foot without turning the steering wheel, and the tire moved away from the fender. I didn't know it was doing that. Maybe I need to replace all the rubber parts in the front end.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Add as much positive caster you can get with in reason.. You want the passenger side to have more + caster then the drivers side for road crown...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Definitely check your upper and lower control arms, the wheel shouldn't move back and forth in the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
If that tire wheel assembly is shifting back and forth in the wheel well plus hitting the fender first thing I would check is the upper control arms then the rest of the right front suspension.The end bolts on the UCA are known to come loose unless they're lock-tighted or good lock washers used.The nuts holding the UCA shaft to the frame may have come loose or a half dozen other front end parts may have let go.
Start with a good check of the right front suspension with the jack under the spring pocket and the tire off the ground as high as your jack will go,then check for any loose suspension parts.If you jack it up by the frame the weight of the suspension will pull tight and loose FE parts can then be missed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts