Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hope someone out there can help. i am in the process of restoring an all original numbers matching 1966 ss. this car was built in framingham. the trim code for upper and lower body colors is R-6. this car has a white vinyl top that seems to be original. the 1966 options and accessories guide shows that black and beige wre the only colors offered. it shows the dealer ordering code as 55-6 for black and 55-7 for beige. i was told a couple of years ago that framingham was a gto plant in 1966 that also ran a very limited amount of chevelles down their assembly line. could this white top be from the gto option group??? thanks for any help. pins66ss

------------------

·
Registered
934 Posts
pins,

My book shows this as being a Regal red (R) with a black vinyl top (6)

As far as I know you could only get a black vinyl top. You could get white, black and beige for a convertible top though.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob, I tend to agree with you. The only thing that has me guessing is the fact that when I removed the white top, the original factory staples were in place, no evidence of this being a replacement top, no extra holes, screws, etc..Thanks again, pins66ss

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
According to my sources the Framingham, MA plant built Chevelle's from 1965 throught the 1969 model year.

All sources indicate that the only vinyl top color available was Black (6)

There were many trim shops back in those days that did this kind of work. I used to work for a used car dealer and we had many tops installed or colors changed exactly like original. I think you have a top that was switched or redyed.

Either way its coded as black so black would be correct. I am sure that the code's for the Pontiac would be the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.