Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some assistance by people who know way more than I ever will! I am wanting to change the rear end on my 66 Malibu from a 10 bolt to a 12. Cant find anything that is not going to cost me $4k or more. Buddy is purchasing a 1970 Grand Prix with a 455 for a donor car, and said he would be willing to sell me the rear end if it fits. I have already purchased QA1 coil over shocks for my stock rear end so I don't think the perches will be of issue, but correct me if I'm out to lunch! I am concerned about the fitment of this and would really appreciate any input from you.

Thanks
Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
The '70 GP rear end will fit, but it is 1 inch wider overall than the '66 rear end. Your wheels will be spaced out 1/2 inch on each side. All of the suspension locations are the same. Use your '66 control arms. The left upper control arm will probably require some clearance cut around the bolt hole due to the larger size of the 12 bolt center casting. Test fit it before putting the rear end in the car. If you are using coil over shocks be sure that the shock mounts are in good condition. I've seen many of them that were cracked or broke. It might be a good idea to weld washers over the bolt holes in the shock mounts to make them a little stronger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. It sounds like it could work which makes me very happy. As far as the Currie unit goes, I would still need all the rest of the components that would cost another $1500 - $2000. Bringing me closer to $3k in US funds. Living in Canada, between the exchange rate and shipping, I would be into it for 4K. Love to do it, but would like to get it on the road, for a couple of summers before I dropped big cash into a rear end like that.

·
Administrator
17,083 Posts
Have you verified what rear is in the GP?
Had a 455 71 GP years ago that had the bop 8.2 in it.
Pic and casting number available?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I was going to say, wouldn't that be a BOP 8.2 which isn't exactly ideal?

·
Gold Founding Member
4,202 Posts
PM Sent.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Ask if they will throw in the upper control arms. One of them is slightly different than those those used on a 10 bolt. I think it's the drivers side, it's trimmed to clear the 12 bolt housing and has a reinforcement plate spot welded to it where it bolts to the housing. I'm not sure they are the same as the 66, if not you can sell them to offset cost of replacing your originals.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts