Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to learn more about seat belt buckles so I can find the belts I need.

The blue belts are the originals on my 66 four door, no mystery here. The 66 SS fact book states that Hamill and Irving produced belts for 66. Did the buckles look exactly the same? Can someone post a picture of an Hamill buckle?

The black belt in my pictures is a Auto-crat belt. Note the slight differences like:
flat rear of buckle (not sloped), the tongue is slightly angled. Both the belts mate with each other, so there are no compatibility issues. The Fisher crest looks identical on both.
The Hamill is model BN 4000-A, the Auto-crat is BN-4000

What year do you think the black belt is out of?

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,195 Posts
Tom, I have a set of belts dated 04 ?B 66. The tags also say "GM" Robbins 1966 & Model # 301. They are black and the buckels are "IDENTICAL" to your blue buckel. The tags are similar to the tag on your blue belt.

However on the back side of the buckels two say "irving air Shute co. Inc" BN 4000-A and two say "jim robbins co royal oak mich" JR 6617. But all dates that are readable indicate the 4th week of 66.

I have heard there were 4 companies making the belts in 66; Robbins, Irving, Hammil, and General belt co. from the looks on one tag it appears Auto Crate was a subsidiary of Robbins. Belt is probably for a different year.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim

looks like they were the same belt from 65-66. I have now looked at a hundreds of belts online but cannot find an example of the black ones. Might be a different GM line?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.