Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a 1966 Malibu w/1973 350 out of a Nova. It has a 700r4 tranny. Car seams to run very well. It has a little rust in the rear quarters (dime size) and a little arouund the rear window. Needs a dash pad and a little interior work. Paint is ok but will need to be re-done at some time. I can get this for $4,800.00....what do you think?

·
Registered
112 Posts
73 nova 350, rust in quarters/ rear window, interior work, paint ok... offer 2500 max and see if he bites, otherwise keep your money and keep looking, better can be found.

------------------
Jon,
Fremont "Z", CA

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
It sounds pricey. My guess is that there is more rust than meets the eye. If the rear window leaks the water must go some place, check the trunk and floor under the rear seat. Good luck.

Steve R

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds way too high. There are alot of other details to be aware of such as condition of the tires and other items that are expensive to replace. Look for rust on the trunk floor (a very common place for rust). Look at the wear items like the control arm bushings; are they originals and rotted or have they been replaced? Alot more details are needed to determine if the asking price is too high.

I paid $3500 in the Chicago area for my 66. All rust is repairable and the car needs new paint. Interior was redone, but I'm still going to replace some items. Has original engine and trans, and I had both rebuilt. Essentially, I'm redoing everything because I want the car to "look like new", but the car was very clean and solid, which is why I paid as much as I did. And prices are higher in a large metropolitan area, so that is why I think that $4800 sounds too high.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Rick:

Here's an example of what some fairly nice 66's are taking. Mind you this is E-bay and people get caught up in the bidding and the car can't be seen or driven , just looking at pictures., and it's a Malibu ( no offense) not SS....BUT I think this is a pretty nice car overall...not looking to pick it apart, it's just a nice car and probably worth the price. I think you have to always consider the amount of time, money and wifes you will go through to get a $4,000 car ready for prime time...it may be easier and faster to start with a better base, like this.

Buy one for $5500 and most likely pour another 3-4 G's in it...this looks like a car you could take to any local cruise night and hold your head up.

Mike
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593953241

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
MCC # 501

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Not for that price. Although they are getting harder to find, you can still find them for less than that.

Try here www.traderonline.com and go to collector cars and then search. You can set your own price range. You should at least be able to come up with a car in similar condition for less money than that.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Tenn66, you are not wrong in thinking you can find a decent car that doesn't need a lot of work in the $5,000 range. It will take some looking but can be done. There are still plenty of deals out there. However, often the best deals are not well advertised or are found through word of mouth. Good luck.

Steve R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.