Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a trip!!!

Last night I bought a complete, all original 275 hp 327 4speed motor that is completely original!!!

It has the stock valve covers, carb, intake, exhausts, pulleys, spark plug wire guides, etc.

I can't believe this motor can have existed for 35 years and remain so original!!

The guy said it came out of an SS Impala.

I just wish I had a 66 to put it in!!

Now . . . what to do with it?

I am thinking about getting a 283 steel crank I saw at a wrecking yard and making it a 302 screemer and then drop it into my 68 camaro.

Any thoughts, ideas??

Tim

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4 Color: Pewter
1995 LT-1 Caprice
1976 Jaguar XJ12L Chevy 350 converted . . for sale.
An all GM site http://www.gmforums.com

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I vote for you to keep it stock. The L30 was a great engine. Powerfull yet relaxed, it can rev but it doesn't have to scream (but it can). All 350 cranks are large journal but your 327 is a small journal. A screaming 302? Certainly nice, but you'll want to upgrade your rods & pistons, deep groove pulleys, cam & kit, screw-in rocker studs, intake & carburation. Since your engine is a survivor (with original hardware intact) I think it is more valuable as it is. Nope, if you can't find a good use for that 327 I have just the place. Really, I'd give it a good home in my 67: http://chevelles.com/showroom/Cam1.jpg
It currently has a nice six, but oh, the possibilities... Besides, I'd love a little wiggly shifter with a white ball snaking around my bench seat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mr.D, Would work real nice in my 68. You don't live that far away, I can pick it up anytime you want to get rid of it!

·
Registered
13,367 Posts
Tim,
I WILL NOT make a recommendation, but, here is what I have done with 2 327s in the past, one for a friend and one for my 56 Vette. Just for your info.
With an early (62-67) 327 block which has the small journal crank, you can have the mains of a 350 crank (which has large journals) turned down to small journal size. You leave the ROD journals alone and use the larger 350 rods. Also, the outer diameter of the crankshaft flange, between the rear main bearing and the rear main seal, has to be turnde down a little because the groove in a 327 block is not quite as deep as the groove in a 350 block. With a std bore 327, this would of course give you 350 and with a .030 over bore you would get 355. I ran this bored/stroked 327 (355) in my 56 Vette for years with zero problems. Then I replaced it with a SB400. When I pulled the 355 out, I sold the short block to a good friend to put in an original 2x4 57 Chevy. He is happy with it.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies

Here is what I have found out about the engine so far.

Block #3858174 A 20 6 date
front pad HA indicating the L30 engine.

heads #3782461 camel hump 160/62cc port volumes. 62cc chamber. A 17 6 date

Don
I actually bought a 4 bolt main 350 short block from the same guy. I have a set of 69 heads 3947041s that have been laying around in my garage.

I will probably help my son built the short block for his 73 camaro with those parts.

Mtymouse
yep. I am leaning towards the 302. Just always wanted one of those.

BTW I checked out your cars. Pretty nice collection.

Cam
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It currently has a nice six, but oh, the possibilities... Besides, I'd love a little wiggly shifter with a white ball snaking around my bench seat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smak!!! Wake up . . . you've drifted off into lala land again!!

Yes, in a way it would be cool to keep it the same. But I don't have a 66 car to put it in. If I did, I would consider keeping it the same for originality.
Nice pic by the way. Love the 66-67s.

Hey kerryj68
I drove through Coalville once . . .If I would have blinked, I would have missed it!! J/K
I was on my way to Fossil Butte National Monument. I saw a few old cars there. Seems like I saw a 68-69 camaro?? and some others.

kansas stocker
5.38s?? Did you run the 1/8 mile instead of the 1/4?

My brother in law had a 56 chev with 6.14s. Man it was quick, but no top end.

Tom
Sounds like a neat setup. But you bowed down to the Cubic Inch gods!!

Sorry so long.

I need to go pic up the 283 crank. I hope it is still there.
Tim

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought I would bring this one back to life.

The 283 crank was gone.

I may sell the motor complete for someone interested. email me.

I may put it in my 67 still . . . have to see what the summer brings.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4 Color: Pewter
1995 LT-1 Caprice
1976 Jaguar XJ12L Chevy 350 converted . . for sale.
An all GM site http://www.gmforums.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.