Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and installed an original in-dash tach in my '66 Impala (I know, I know, an "Impala guy"). I'm not getting ANY response from it. I have it hooked up like any other tach would be. Positive to power, negetive to "tach" on the distributor. Do any of you know if these in-dash tachs read rpm differently? Something that might prevent it from working with an HEI? I suppose either way I'll have to have it rebuilt, I just want to know if I got at dud tach or not.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
FWIW, my 69 factory tach worked fine with stock HEI, and it also works fine with HEI and MSD6A.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Hey pal, don't be trying to capitalize on MY handle - I'm THE Impala Guy!

Seriously Jeff, looks like it may be dead. drop me a note and I'll tell ya who I had redo mine. Works great.

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey Jeff, What part of the Hawkeye state are you from? I was born in Keokuk and raised in Burlington. My car came from Ottumwa originally.
I put a tach in my 69 with an HEI and it works, but seems to be off by about 100RPM, (I was to cheap to have it calibrated). Seems like I was able to bench test mine as far as being able to get the needle to move with an ohmeter. Not really a true test but confirmed the circuits were OK.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. The more the merrier so keep the advice coming. I think I've got me a dud tach. I'll email the guy I bought it from to see if he's as decent as he seemed when I bought it. Hmmm. Thanks for all the replies. I'm orginally from the Ames area of Iowa. Go Cyclones!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
WHOOOHOOO!!!! GO CYCLONES!!!!

------------------
1969 Caprice (It's not an Impala darnit!)
427/M-20 Finally!
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105

1966 Caprice
396/325 TH-400
15.38 @ 97.4

Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

[This message has been edited by LTLCRZY427 (edited 05-30-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.