Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm currently looking at a 66 Chevelle, and the thrid number on the Vin tag is different from the thrid number on the Cowl Tag. Should I be worried? The cowl tag looks like it has never ever been off and the Vin tag matches the title, which is from the original owner back in 1966. Could this been a mistake at the assembly line.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Anthony.. in a Nut shell.. No, these kind of mistakes almost NEVER happened... too many checks and balances in my opinion, others may disagree..

BUT.. Try and be more clear as to what NUMBERS do not match??

if the TRIM TAG shows 13817 SS Hardtop or 13867 SS Convert. and the VIN Tag shows something different.. you have a tampered with car :yes:

but I am not sure exactly what numbers are you talking about :(

is this car supposed to be an SS? if so, then the numbers I noted above are what you should be looking for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, the car I'm looking at is a 66 chevelle 300 2 dr deluxe, the Vin Tag number starts out like this 133116A****** and on the Cowl Tag the number read this 13411. I do beleive that the guy told me that the car was ordered with a V-8 but the engine broke and was replace with an inline 6.. But everything I have look at on this car, it looks like no body tampered with anything. Could it be this, the car was built with a inline-6 and this person wanted the option of a V-8. This is what I think could of happened.. Let me know your thought on this.... thanks

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Differences in the cowl tag and VIN number are common. If there was no difference in the six cylinder or eight cylinder body the tag on the body could show either and was not always the same as the VIN. The VIN number must match the title. The SS cars always show 138 on the cowl tag due to SS equipment being installed in the body at the Fisher body plant. Dale's sight www.chevellestuff.com shows examples of cowl tags and VIN plates.

Paul

·
Premium Member
14,193 Posts
Fisher Body, who built the body, had no idea what engine was going into the car, hence the cowl tag that has the even number instead of the odd, My 64 SS convert was originally a 6 cyl but the cowl tag showed to to be an 8 cyl. When Dale pops in, he can explain it better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.