Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 383 stroker motor 515 525 horse TCI transmission Street rodder don't know what gear or what torque converter is best for the street for my Chevelle hopefully somebody could give me some good ideas for torque converter for my street Rodder transmission and what rear end gear will work for a 66 Chevelle Malibu?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Are you want just a Cruzer or a Street/Strip Car ?
What Rear End do you have now ?? eg. 10 Bolt or 12 Bolt Chevy etc.

My 67 Suspension is old School and is Setup for the Track + Street/Hwy & I drive it on the Hwy & City Streets
when ever I want to in warm Weather
BBC/550 HP with a TH400 Auto Trans with a 3,500 to 6,500 Stall Converter built Tight so very little slippage
when driving on the Hwy/Street // see my Sig for Perf info
- S60 from Strange with a Truetrac (Helical / worm type) Posi 3.70 Ratio Rear Gears

I drive my car 50 Miles to the Track / Change to Track DOT Tires & Open Up the Cutouts,
Race all Day then Drive it Home

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well well right now I have a 1700 stall in my TCI 350 Street rodder transmission stock 308 rear end 10 bolt can't afford gas trying to save money for the right torque converter and the right rear end gear trying to figure it out I know the car has a big cam small block puts a lot of power on top in having trouble keeping it running on low in with single plane high-rise Holly 770 brawler going to switch to air gap Edelbrock out of stock till later this fall which is a dual plane for the street that will work my goal is to drive it on the street and drive about 40 miles to the track still have fun mostly Street thought about 373 gear don't know what my RPM on highway haven't driven it on the highway yet so I don't even know RPM just looking for the right torque and gear ratio for the car so I can drive it can't afford to do the guess work hopefully I can get straight to the point what I need for my Chevelle so I can save and buy the right part to start with want Street strip mostly Street!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Sounds like you're kinda runnin in 4 different directions there lol
What camshaft are you running there ?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
@ .050 ?
Shoot over a picture of the car

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
That's quite a bit of cam there.
Long .
That along with a 3:08 gear and you'll never wring that thing out lol.
The car wouldn't allow the speed you'd be doing at 6500 rpm in high gear .
Basically alot of wasted power there with that cam and gear combination.

The motor is over cammed for the application. Or not cammed right for any application actually. IMO.

What would be the best option i think is put 3:36 or 3:42 gears in it and change the cam as well if you can afford that .
A much shorter duration tighter LSA cam along with a 3:36 gear and you'd have a stout car there .

This is what I would do in your situation.
Leave the gears alone and change the cam .
A cam swap isn't that expensive if you can do it yourself or have someone who can help you out with it without charging you and arm and a leg .

Or leave the cam in there and go with deep gears. Like 4:10 absolute minimum with that cam

You've got a nice tranny there

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's quite a bit of cam there.
Long .
That along with a 3:08 gear and you'll never wring that thing out lol.
The car wouldn't allow the speed you'd be doing at 6500 rpm in high gear .
Basically alot of wasted power there with that cam and gear combination.

The motor is over cammed for the application. Or not cammed right for any application actually. IMO.

What would be the best option i think is put 3:36 or 3:42 gears in it and change the cam as well if you can afford that .
A much shorter duration tighter LSA cam along with a 3:36 gear and you'd have a stout car there .

This is what I would do in your situation.
Leave the gears alone and change the cam .
A cam swap isn't that expensive if you can do it yourself or have someone who can help you out with it without charging you and arm and a leg .

Or leave the cam in there and go with deep gears. Like 4:10 absolute minimum with that cam

You've got a nice tranny there
I was thinking about maybe 4:11 or go out 456

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just don't know what I can do with a 10-bolt rear end going to have somebody build it for me I don't trust my skills for changing cam on new motor haven't even got broken yet!
Maybe just going to go with fool race I know the car is too big for Street changing the intake to dual plane air gap so I can tune it down for Street

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe just going to go with fool race I know the car is too big for Street changing the intake to dual plane air gap so I can tune it down for Street
What rear gear do you have? Windsor 10 bolt with 308 that does not work well need to figure out what what rear end gear is best for mine?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Just don't know what I can do with a 10-bolt rear end going to have somebody build it for me I don't trust my skills for changing cam on new motor haven't even got broken yet!
A gear swap isn't a big deal and don't listen to people telling you that 10 bolt 8.2 isn't enough.
It's plenty enough for what you're goals are .
Now if you want to get into much bigger torque numbers then you may need a 12 bolt.
That 10 bolt will take alot man

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A gear swap isn't a big deal and don't listen to people telling you that 10 bolt 8.2 isn't enough.
It's plenty enough for what you're goals are .
Now if you want to get into much bigger torque numbers then you may need a 12 bolt.
That 10 bolt will take alot man
I like a lot of torque so what gear ratio is great I would love to pull the front wheels off the ground out in front of my brother's house has a Camaro 383 stroker with 411 rear gear I know I can build this 10 bolt real strong with eaton and Yukon gears my Chevelle much lighter than his big heavy Camaro 78 that is. I know I have much bigger big cam!!! So I again need to know what size torque converter what size rear gear my TCI transmission will hold up just need the right torque converter right gear for rear end please help give me some great ideas thanks for your help you've been very helpful with your post thanks again!!!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Pulling the Wheels/Tires off the Ground/Pavement on the Street is not likely ever going to happen
even if you change the Converter/RearEnd Gears AND redo the Suspension on your car

However if you want to look like you could do that at the Track
then here is my 67's Cheap Old School Set Up
1. FRONT
- Moroso # 47195 250 lb Trick Springs
and Comp Eng 3Way Shocks # 2610 Set at 80/20
if you find that this lowers the Frontend too much when your Tires are at Max Turn into a Driveway
then put a 1" Rubber Spacer under the Bottom of the Coil Springs
UMI Perf # 403133 U & L Tubular Control Arms OPTION / do later !!
UMI Perf # 4500 Driveshaft Loop
1350 U-Joints on Driveshaft

2. REAR - New Moog # 5385 Rear Springs // your 66 will likely use a different #ed Spring
Rear Air Lift 1000 Air Bags # 60744 installed inside the Coil springs
and Comp Eng 3Way Shocks # 2720 Set at 50/50
UMI Perf # 4029 Rear Frame Braces
UMI Perf # 402126 Rear Upper Adjustable & Lower Boxed Control Arms
1350 U-Joints on Driveshaft

3. TIRES for Rear
M/T ET Street S/S # 3454 295/55/15 = 10.6” Tread Width / 12.2” SWW / 27.8” Dia..
on a 15" x 10" Wheel with a 5.5" BackSpace
if you have a Stock Width RearEnd of 60" from Wheel Mounting Face/Surface from Side to Side

In Regards to what Converter and ReaEnd Gearing of 3.70 in a S60 Strange Rear End
here is what my 67 has had for my BBC specs // see my sig for Track Perf results ;
TCI Breakaway 2400 to 2600 TCI 240901: 10" Breakaway Torque Converter 1965-91 GM TH350/TH400 | JEGS
Dynamic 9.5" Race/Street 3500 to 6500 - Dual anti-ballooning plates (where applicable),
triple bearing package, full furnace brazing, all fins are hand welded for extra reinforcement,
bulletproof sprag and stator / design great for bracket cars or serious street cars .Super efficient
Dynamic Converters / Pro-Formance Transmissions

Pic of Frontend with the TCI Breakaway 2400 - 2600 TC
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Pic of Frontend with the Dynamic 9.5" Race/Street 3500 to 6500 TC
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts