Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,571 Posts
"Looks great so far. I'd add the correct bucket seat mounts while you are there."

I will. I didn't even realize anything was missing. Did the bench seats just not have any brackets? I guess someone switched out the seats before I got the car and just bolted them to the floor board. It's interesting that they at least replaced the bench with correct 1966 Chevelle seats.

What do the brackets do? Level the seats I assume. Do they strengthen the connection to the floor for the seats?
Factory bench seat car…. For buckets, there were brackets along the tunnel, but there was also a bracket welded to the floor for the outer front bucket mount.
But yes, the brackets mount and level the bucket seats…

when you buy the brackets, make sure you buy the 4-piece kit that includes those outer fronts…

·
Premium Member
17,571 Posts
Here’s a few pictures of my Fremont 66 floors with the bucket seat brackets.

repros aren’t correct, at least for these 66s, but functional and hidden. Note how wide the inner brackets are…
With the butchered shifter hole, I wonder if it was originally an automatic…. Needs to be cut for a Hurst, but not usually as much as yours was…. Nobody wanted to cut more than needed to fit the shifter…

where was the car ( near the ocean). Mine was sold new in Pacifica, but ended up near San Carlos, so it didn’t rust…. New one in Millbrae near 280 with lots of rust too…

mine will be similar, no pro-paint resto, just can’t afford it, and I want to drive it after sitting for 35+ years. I restored the frame, and am trying to finish up some minor rust repair ( front and rear windshield channels).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Where was the car ( near the ocean)?
Yes, Castroville California for about 10 years. About one mile from the Pacific.

With the butchered shifter hole, I wonder if it was originally an automatic….
The speedo/dash doesn't have the automatic P/D/N, ect indicators. That's why I assume it's always been a four speed car.

Mine will be similar, no pro-paint resto, just can’t afford it, and I want to drive it after sitting for 35+ years. I restored the frame, and am trying to finish up some minor rust repair ( front and rear windshield channels).
I'm right there with you on that. I also have to fix around the windshield and back window. Right now I'm cutting cut and replacing the trunk floor. Doing it myself and learning in places people won't see. I'm a little more concerned with my skills when It comes time to do repairs around the glass.

Does the V.I.N. number show where the car was assembled? I have always thought my car was assembled in Fremont, but now I forget why I've thought that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have the three piece trunk floor repair kit and I have started cutting out the first third on the drivers side.the piece that connects to the inner wheel wheel is spot welded? I think and the section behind th the inner wheel well, along the quarter panel is also spot welded?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Where was the car ( near the ocean)?
Yes, Castroville California for about 10 years. About one mile from the Pacific.

With the butchered shifter hole, I wonder if it was originally an automatic….
The speedo/dash doesn't have the automatic P/D/N, ect indicators. That's why I assume it's always been a four speed car.

Mine will be similar, no pro-paint resto, just can’t afford it, and I want to drive it after sitting for 35+ years. I restored the frame, and am trying to finish up some minor rust repair ( front and rear windshield channels).
I'm right there with you on that. I also have to fix around the windshield and back window. Right now I'm cutting cut and replacing the trunk floor. Doing it myself and learning in places people won't see. I'm a little more concerned with my skills when It comes time to do repairs around the glass.

Does the V.I.N. number show where the car was assembled? I have always thought my car was assembled in Fremont, but now I forget why I've thought that.
7th digit in the VIN is a letter (unless it's a Canadian car). The letter tells you the plant is was built in.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
7th digit in the VIN is a letter (unless it's a Canadian car). The letter tells you the plant is was built in.
Thanks! I just looked it up. the 7th digit kinda looks like a 7, but I guess that's not an option so I guess it's a "Z" which is Fremont according to the internet. Which is cool because I drove past there (the building) many times and talked to a guy that worked there once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, this was under the vinyl roof trim. Of course it didn't look this bad until I started grinding away the rust.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like you have more work to do than I have on my car, I am not to the body work point yet but will be watching your progress with your car.
Good luck.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts