Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a set of bucket seats that came out of a 1966 Caddy. They look the same but the backs have a square with material in it and the head rest looks the same. The drivers seat has power and goes up and down, back and front. The passengers seat reclines and also goes front and back. I know that 66 chevelle had power seats available, would this set up be the same for a 1966 chevelle. I know I can get them to work but would it be correct with the power and reclining. I can switch the backs out...thanks tom

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
NO , they are not good, but I will gladly take them off your hands

Actually, they should be the same (assuming they are Strato-buckets...

I have seen only one Caddy like this over the years...

The power seat might not work, because the caddy floor pan (and corresponding seat tracks) are not the same (but it might work or be modified)... I pulled a set out of a 1966 Riviera, and the tracks were completely different than A-body tracks...

The passenger recliner is a nice option, and will look stock, but it was never offered in a '66 Chevelle (why, I don't know)...

I would think the headrests are the same, and the metal backs are likely the same, but there might be holes drilled if there is any trim around the back material...

I have yet to find Caddy with buckets in the wrecking yard, but I always look, because they are less picked over for parts...

------------------

"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
The Chevelle
Dual Quad 396
Side View

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
While we're on this subject...

Are 65 and 66 buckets the same? In a local junk-yard, there's a '65 SS convert with buckets that are completely trashed. I looked at them, and the ones in a corvair near it, and the seats looked the same. I can modify the tracks, but I'd like to know if the corvair seats will look like stock 66 Elky seats. I'm kinda new to the early chevelles.

------------------
Derek Kiefer (Derek69SS = AIM) [email protected]

'69 SS 396/325hp-solid project
'69 Malibu 350/250hp "PEG LEG" (Now with crumple-zones)
'68 Malibu formerly owned by Joe Dirt (parting out)
'66 El Camino "SMOKEY" 327/PG

"If God wanted the metric system, there would have been 10 apostles"

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
Derek,
No, the 1964 and 1965 Chevelles (and A-bodies, B-bodies, etc) used a completely different seat than 1966 and up... I think the earlier seats have the hinges on the outsides, while the 66 and later Strato seats have the hinges hidden inside the seat...

While the 1966 and up A-body (Chevelles, etc), X-body (Novas?) and B-Bodies (full-size) all used the "Strato-Bucket design, the Camaros, Corvairs and Corvettes did not...

So, NO, stock Corvair seats are a completely different seat from Chevelle/El Camino seats...

------------------

"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
The Chevelle
Dual Quad 396
Side View

·
Registered
185 Posts
65 CORVAIR SEATS ARE THE SAME AS 65 CHEVELLE SEATS, ONLY THE UPHOLSTRY AND TRACKS ARE DIFFERENT. 63 CORVAIR SEATS ARE THE SAME AS 63 AND 64 NOVA WITH THE EXCEPTION OF UPHOLSTRY AND TRACKS I KNOW BECAUSE I CURRENTLY HAVE BOTH IN MY CARS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts