Team Chevelle banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·
I got out a few more parts, trying to find out what I have forgotten that I will need to make it run. Looks like I need to find the air cleaner wing it and clean the choke linkage.
The air cleaner is original to the car. It was handed to me in a box with other parts like shift linkage and the distributor. The valve covers are the originals. This is a 325HP engine so the valvecovers don't have drippers.
The carburetor is a restored unit I bought on eBay with the date code I needed.
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tire Automotive fuel system

Hi Steve,
Thank you for the message. I appreciate it and I always like to see a black El Camino. I like the stance of this one. I have lowering springs on mine and 17 inch wheels. I hope mine has a stance similar to that one. Do you know the size of the rear wheels?
Wow! I never got a notification of this message 31d ago. Well, let me tell you...Those are 20x10 Coys. I went with the same wheels on my '68, except my rears are 18x9.5 and 18x8 up front.

Discussion starter · #103 ·
Thanks Steve,
Those are big! I don't think I will ever go that big. I have some 18x9's for the rear if I decide to go bigger.

Discussion starter · #104 ·
I installed some more parts today. I bought a #40193 fuel pump on eBay. This is a pump that has a pipe thread output that works with my reproduction steel fuel line. And the inlet is clocked correctly.

I also installed the divorced choke, and installed the vacuum advance line. I have original hardware, just needed 2 sizes of vacuum line from the auto parts store. The original rubber hoses were hard and cracking.
Automotive tire Rim Musical instrument Automotive wheel system Gas
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Classic car Nut

Discussion starter · #105 ·
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle
I bought a new radiator from US Radiator that is a same size replacement for my original Harrison 3 row radiator, except that this is referred to as a desert cooler because it has a 4 row core. I am doing a temporary install with the radiator support on the chassis, getting ready to fire the rebuilt 396 for the first time.

Discussion starter · #106 · (Edited)
Here are a few photos showing how the new US Radiator replacement compares to my original 1966 Harrison 3 row middle-sized radiator. The original VZ radiator is 3 row. The replacement has a 4 row core, but uses the same size tanks. Sleeve Wood Denim Electric blue Beige
Grille Automotive radiator part Gas Mesh Electronic device

Attachments

Discussion starter · #107 · (Edited)
Road surface Grey Wood Asphalt Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Fluid
The weather has cooled in Arizona, so I am trying to make some progress. I am welding holes left in my right front fender from body work done decades ago. No obvious reason for them, no screw threads in them, so they weren't used to pull out dents.

I have an update on my power steering installation. I ended up using a Goat Hill reproduction that fit great, but I wondered how much difference there was between that lower bracket and the 68 Chevelle/pickup bracket. I modified the pickup bracket to fit the same as the Goat Hill reproduction. Here is a drawing that shows the differences. Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Terrestrial plant

I finished the welding today. There was a missing captured nut that I replaced. Wood Metal Gas Auto part Screw
Stripping/sandblasting and a coat of epoxy primer is next.
Road surface Grey Wood Asphalt Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Fluid
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Terrestrial plant
One more photo of the two shorter brackets.
Human body Wood Window Foot Human leg
Wood Gas Musical instrument Metal Composite material
Wood Metal Gas Auto part Screw
Wood Gas Musical instrument Metal Composite material

101 - 107 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.