Team Chevelle banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
The correct way to install the alternator is with the alternator in front of the bracket. This is shown in the Assembly Instruction Manual. I see you have the hard to find 3 row waterpump pulley for the a/c and smog pump. Looks like the a/c stuff in the firewall is gone. Has all the a/c equipment been removed? Cars without a/c have the negative battery cable connected to waterpump stud. A/C cars have it attached to a compressor bracket. When the bracket is removed some people attach it to the head, like yours.

Ok thanks for the info , I had a look and see where I went wrong, I used one of those bolt/stud combo at the water pump which pushes the bracket out past the alternator, yes it used to have aircon and smog , I made some plates and covered the holes and installed a heater box from a non-AC car , it's running and driving now but I still have a few things to finish up on it , I still have all the a/c parts except for the condensor and the pump and hoses , don't really need it over here,

Discussion starter · #63 · (Edited)
There should be a stud in that waterpump location with a nut to hold the bracket. The lower alternator mount should be all the way forward against the bracket.

Bruce looks like the frame is done just waiting for the body to be installed.

Discussion starter · #65 · (Edited)
Hi Philip,
I still need to pressurize the oiling system and verify oil at the rockers, then I can install the valvecover gaskets. I want to finish installing everything around the engine; starter, ignition system and fuel system.

I sold my Camaro couple of weeks ago (it went to Colorado) so I now have garage space for the chassis while I complete the body and paint in the workshop. I will move the chassis there as soon as I have everything installed that I possibly can.

I am still working on my son's Corvair. We completed the sub-frame and I am working on relocating the rear wheelwells. Moving them back 2.5 inches and out 3.5 inches per side.
also taking care of previous collision and rust issues.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Thanks, Bill. Actually I get plenty of sleep, but I have been slowing down the past few weeks. I slow down when the temperature starts rising around here. I think I am about done for the summer. I will look for indoor projects until September.

I also have a 1966 396 El Camino and have been watching this build,love the great attention to detail! I am still not sure about your power steering high pressure hose,is it correct for the 1966,or from something else? I ordered one from OPG and it looks nothing like yours.Are hoses like yours still available?Thanks,Doug

Discussion starter · #73 ·
I also have a 1966 396 El Camino and have been watching this build,love the great attention to detail! I am still not sure about your power steering high pressure hose,is it correct for the 1966,or from something else? I ordered one from OPG and it looks nothing like yours.Are hoses like yours still available?Thanks,Doug
Hi Doug,

Thanks!

The high pressure hose that I used came from OPGI and I am fairly certain that it is part number PSH1002, even though I couldn't find my receipt to verify. Not sure how exact it is but it fit perfectly with the proper loop for the 66. It is supposed to be an "authentic reproduction" for the 66 and 67 BB Chevelles: not from something else. It is still listed online. I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the quick response! I should have mentioned I purchased my hose from OPGI several years ago from their catalog,it went in fine but looks odd.I just now went to their web site and looked it up,by the picture it does look like yours.I guess I'll order another one and try again.The Elco is pretty much original and I'd like to keep it looking that way.Thanks again.

Discussion starter · #76 ·
Bruce, how's the Elco project coming along? You haven't posted an update,lately.
I just recently started working on car projects again after taking the summer off. I am helping my son with his Corvair project and hope to get busy on the El Camino soon.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
I had a health setback a couple of months after submitting that last post. I ended up with an atrial valve replacement, cardiac ablation, and a pacemaker. I am doing well now and have made some progress with my son's Corvair.

It is hot here again, but am trying to get reorganized and ready to work on the El Camino. I pulled the chassis out of the workshop and am moving it to the house garage. The body has been stored on barrels and 4 x 4 s since I started the chassis. I put it on a body dolly so I could move it in and out of the shop. I am expecting a two post lift on Monday so I need room to install that.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #80 ·
Thank you, Dave and Bill! I think I am back to normal. Hoping to stay this way.

My 2 post lift arrived today. It is designed for small garages with low ceilings. It only lifts 45 inches inches. It should be good for lifting bodies off of frames and putting them back. I will do a little report on it when it is installed. Dannmar MaxJax

Attachments

61 - 80 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.