Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in the AIM that the alternator used with 396 engine, uses a spacer behind the pulley/fan. What are the dimensions of this spacer/washer, especially the thickness?

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
Hmm don't remember that it did but if it did was a small ring on shaft maybe about .100 I have the orig 61 amp on my 66 Pirkle restored it don't recall a thick spacer as I installed the pulley but yes maybe a ring on shaft so pulley only go so far .......

·
Premium Member
14,054 Posts
not sure if it was done back then, but some pulley's had the spacer as part of the pulley. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. Here is the page from the Assembly Instruction Manual showing that the assembly line workers added the fan/pulley and the spacer to the alternator assembly. The alternator assembly included the nut and lock washer in front of the one piece fan/pulley, but clearly had to add the fan/pulley and a separate spacer behind the pulley/fan. The spacer has its own part number. Only the 396 engines would get this spacer.

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
Ok yes thats the pc I was talking about a little ring pretty sure its pressed on not loose but been a very long time since I did that

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Bill. It is good to get confirmation that it was actually there. It should be visible behind the pulley/fan and make the spacer/fan stick out a little further. I am hoping someone who still has one of these might be able to measure it. I suspect that most cars don't have their original alternators or just swapped the original fan/pulley to a rebuilt unit and never noticed the spacer.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike. That group number is key. I found the part number in several of my parts books, used on the front brakes of various Chevy's built during the early 60s including 64,65 Corvettes with drum brakes and forward control Corvairs.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, I am needing one. Be aware that I am not looking for the normal spacer found on all alternaters. That spacer fits between the fan and the bearing and keeps the fan from hitting the alternator front frame. That spacer is about .185 thick and about .900 in diameter. I think the diameter of the spacer I am looking for is about 1.25 in diameter and fits between the existing spacer and the fan.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found some NOS washers on eBay and bought 2 of them. Here are the measurements; outside diameter is 1.310, inside diameter is 0.673, and the thickness is 0.054. It fits well on the alternator shaft. I received the rebuild parts for my alternator today, also, will have my rebuilt alternator back together tomorrow and will post another photo showing the installed washer behind the fan.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I reassembled my alternator today and installed the washer/spacer. It is easy to see the washer/spacer if your alternator has one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts