Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper alternator clocking on a 1966 with a 396 engine? Electrical plug at 3 o'clock when the upper mount is at 12?

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Greg, that's not correct. Looking at the rear of your alternator, the housing needs to be rotated 90* clockwise. This puts the flat part of the rear housing facing the valve cover which allows the alternator to rotate towards the motor further without hitting the valve cover, allowing more slack to install the alternator belt.
I glad to see you have the upper bracket installed correctly. :thumbsup:
That's the way it was done in '68 for certain, I don't see why earlier years would be any different.
Pic of a 1-owner 68.
BillL

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Greg, that's not correct. Looking at the rear of your alternator, the housing needs to be rotated 90* clockwise. This puts the flat part of the rear housing facing the valve cover which allows the alternator to rotate towards the motor further without hitting the valve cover, allowing more slack to install the alternator belt.
Well . . . I hate to admit this, but you're right. I do need to rotate mine 90* CW. To verify, I even checked with my '66 go-to guy, Mike Crown. I also checked the alternator that I recently rebuilt for the '68 El Camino SS that I'm restoring and see that I've got it correct there. (You've given me some help on that restoration.)

Thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I value Mike's opinion. Too bad we don't see him around here, lately.

I also found a photograph of a survivor 66, in one of Jeff Helms' albums, that shows the alternator clocked at 3:00. I am convinced, so I changed mine today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts