Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently recovered a set of 66 buckets for my father’s convertible project. Along the way, we decided to add headrests. I had never done this before, and after consulting RAMBO (who gave me quite a few pointers), I was determined to do it myself.
So after ordering and receiving the bracket kit, I started mounting and calculating. The pics and few instructions that come with the mounting kit are minimal at best. I took several pics… here we go.

Naked seat back

Side view of the brackets, they screw onto the backs, then you slide the plastic tube through seat back and bracket.

You must adjust (bend) the brackets to make them hug the seat back. This is easiest if the seat cover is not on the back.

Top view with plastic bushing:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once you get them both mounted, check the distance between them by inserting the headrest. This will save you a headache later when you are mounting the brackets with the seat cover on....

Side view showing just how they attach:

It also important to note that these brackets REPLACE the tabs that hold the seat back on. So test fit that as well.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now the tricky part....

Install seat foam, then cut a slit for the bracket to sit in (kind of like an Upside-down "T" and remove the foam under the location of where the bracket will sit. After experimenting with the first one, I found that cutting away 1/2 of the foam under the slit helps with the foam pushing the bracket up.

Do this on both sides:

Then you are going to need some #6 or #8 screws, the ones in the bracket kit only work when there is no cover installed.
Screw on the left is a kit screw, right is what I purchased. The holes in the backs of these buckets were hogged out so I needed #8 x 3/4" for all holes on the seat back. The lower one could still use the shorty.

Now install the seat cover.... you will note at this point that it doesn't look like the bracket is going to fit....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point, the cover needs to be stretched and hogringed into place. You will find that the cover needs to be centered and if you don't re-center it once you have pulled it into place, the brackets really show how far off center you have the seat cover. I didn't notice this until I had them completely finished and decided not to cut the hog rings off and start over.

NOTE: Damn I forgot to mention when you are getting the brackets set at the beginning, mark with a sharpie where the screw heads are on the brackets. The below pics shows one installed with the marks.

But this is how you actually start to place it. I started with the bottom lower hole on the bracket. Then found the other holes with some slim screwdrivers.

Use the longer screws and pull the bracket down into the cover EVENLY!!! (Best pic I had of this. DO NOT CUT the hole until the bracket is completely tight to seat back)

Then I checked the seat back to see that it sits correctly. This is the engineer in me, check everything, then check it again.. Also the pic shows marking the SMALL round hole you will have to cut for the bushing to slide through.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, now cut the hole in the vinyl. I found that an "X" in the circle, then removing the top half of the circle flaps was enough to fit the plastic bushing into the hole.

I trimmed the corners off of the bushing flange, I was worried the plastic would scratch or tear the vinyl as I was pushing it in.

A screwdriver helped push it through, this is tough step to get done:

All installed with chrome bezel attached:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now where do those plastic plates go that are in the kit? I had to ask!! But it makes sense once you get everything installed.

The POS's that I started with:

·
Registered
131 Posts
They look amazing brother! Good write up! Can't wait to show them the back seat! It might be scarier! Lol

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the kind words. i am new to upholstery and am finding I have a new knack....
i would like to point out that I have been conversing with Ben (RAMBO) over email constantly for advice. Also, maybe some of you know (shameless plug coming up!) Rambo will sell you a package kit for all of the underlayment in the buckets - burlap, jute padding cut to close size, and provide you with custom bent springs for the pieces that are broken in your seats. I can't say enough good things about his depth of knowledge. This particular drivers seat was a disaster, almost every spring broken where they typically break, and he made custom replacements for them. Thanks again, Ben!

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
Thanks Scott! I get a big kick out of being able to help people do something they might not otherwise attempt themselves. Its even better when folks can then show me something I hadn't seen before like this!

Your photos are a million times better than the ones I scrounged together for you before you started- and those were the best I could find on the internet!

Your pics here will help countless others- and that really what its all about!

So thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts