Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these the 66 and 67 remote resivoir caps?

66, one on left, GR. 3.028 Part number 3914958
67, one on right, GR. 6.635 Part number 3908539

I think they are but I am not sure if it is just a GM replacement part or if they are the real things.

Is the 67 one the same as 68? My parts book says there is a difference.(I don't know what)

I know that the 66 cap was used as a gas cap on older GM products and that is why it is listed under that Group number.

As always, I appreciate the expertise here

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Tom I cant read the writing on the 67 style cap you have posted. An original will have
USE AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID TYPE A on it. The overall all appearance appears correct but if the wording is not the same it would be a service replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right it was a bad picture.

Using my skills as a cub reporter I have a better picture now:

Mine does not say Automatic fluid but says P/S fluid, so it must be a replacement part. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The 66 cap is one of 2 that were used, One being non vented and the other vented which is yours and was originally a 62 Vette gas cap.

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,195 Posts
Looks like the 66 cap is a vented cap. Is Frank saying that both a vented cap and a non vented cap was used in 66?

Is Frank saying they also used this fuel cap for the remote reservior?

The cap I have looks like the 66 cap illustrated; except is is non vented. And it has a paper gasket/backed by a brass piece and from the top you can see 4 little places where the locking part was spot welded to the top.

The 66 cap appears to be a fuel cap for a el camino and vented because the fuel tank was not vented on an elcamino; but was vented on a chevelle, thus the chevelle used a non-vented fuel cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.